We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

Hi ladies,

My question is about the availability of BC over the counter in Costa Rica and the cost.

I take BC to regulate my cycle and was wondering if it would be possible to get ahold of it while in CR. I will be staying in CR for six months and my insurance here in the US will not cover my buying so much im advance to take with me. Is it possible to buy OTC in CR? I will primarily be in the San Jose area. I know it is sometimes tricky to get such things in Catholic countries. Also, im not sure whether id need costa rican insurance to obtain it or if I could simply get it OTC if it IS available.

Worst case, i'll just go without it during my trip. It wont be a huge deal, I suppose. But, if anyone has amy advise about the ease or difficulty of obtaining it, id like to know. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

Not sure about your question. Are you talking about the OTC remedy - BC powder? Basically, BC powder is just aspirin with caffeine which is readily available in Costa Rica. If you are talking about about another form of BC powder or something else, let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

Lol no, im sorry, I mean birth control. :) I was scared my question wasn't going to be appropriate for posting

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

Birth control pills - I should clarify that, too. Thank you!

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

First, I think you should recheck with your US and your US based insurance plan. I travel regularly between the US and CR and have two daughters who have recently done college semesters abroad. We have asked for and received 6 month supplies of BC and other meds. Just tell them that you are going to be traveling and need to request a vacation supply. If your Dr is willing to write the RX for that amount of time, I think your insurance company has to fill it for you upon reasonable request. They just WANT you to buy it by the month but they CAN provide larger amount. You might have to call and talk to a supervisor. Good luck.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

No problem at all in Costa Rica, you can get a selection over the counter

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

Great to know! Thanks everyone so much for your advice.

I suppose I should check with my insurance again, as you suggest - seems like it worked just fine for you. I swear they told me it wouldn't be possible, but now that I think about it, I was talking to the pharmacist. I'll call my insurance.

Also- great to know it is available OTC just in case! :)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

If you don't end up bringing your supply with you, what you might want to do is to get the generic name of the one you are using now and bring that with you. Then, just take it to a pharmacy and they will provide the equivalent. Some brand name meds are available here - usually more expensive - but lots of equivalents that have the same ingredients.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

Good idea! Thanks! :) I'll do that, too

9. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 06:22
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: WOMAN Question - (Men read at your own risk)

Thanks for now making this thread completely inappropriate.

That is not what I was referring to.

Whoever is in charge, feel free to remove this thread.