We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

We just returned from a great trip to Costa Rica. We rented a car from Hertz (San Jose Airport) and booked it from the US before we went. When we arrived, they said it was the law that we had to pay an additional $18 day in insurance plus $13-$18 (depending on the deductible you choose) a day for another kind of insurance. We had the car for 10 days so this would increase the quoted price by $310. We said we had car rental insurance through our credit card and they said no matter what we had to pay the $18 but if we declined to buy the additional $13 and go through our credit card's insurance then they would charge $7,000 as a deposit. We did that and our credit card company put a hold on the card and we couldn't use it for most of the trip. We met other people who all had this problem with the insurance (sometimes doubling the quoted price), but none had to put a depo of $7,000. It's a big scam there so just beware that the quote you get is not what you're going to pay. I would suggest booking directly through the Costa Rican websites (not through the US reservation system) and ask specifically for a quote with all insurance included.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

Sorry to hear about your bad experience renting a car. That is realy good advice to go through the Costa Rica websites rather than the global ones. Also I would contact the rent a car in Costa Rica by email and ask them to provide a price that includes all mandatory insurance and a list of other insurance costs. There is a mandatory insurance in Costa Rica that no credit card covers from $10 to $20 and if you use your Credit Card insurance to wave CDW they will double the deposit though (Normaly to $2000 to $3000) but $7000 sounds extream.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

BFF - if you had read any of the hundred or so posts here about renting a car in Costa Rica, you would have known to expect the mandatory, by law, additional liability insurance. It is not a scam, a ripoff or anything like that. It is the law. It is unfortunate that some rental car companies do not include the cost of this insurance in their quote, but there it is.

I have trouble getting to $310 for insurance for a 10 day trip that is $13 to $18 a day?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

Indeed - there is no scamming involved. You HAVE to purchase the mandatory liability insurance just like everybody else. It also does not matter what rental company you chose - you will still have to pay the very same mandatory insurance on top of the rental rate.

It is also advisable to purchase CDW. Some credit cards cover CDW but you will, in many cases, be subjected to a higher deposit. Alas, a deposit is refundable - therefore, there is no scam with this, either.

In many cases, it is actually advantageous to purchase CDW from the rental company directly. In case of damages to the rental car, you will walk out of the office with matters resolved. If you use your credit card cover, your deposit will be withheld and you will have to deal with your credit card company which, in turn, will have to deal with the rental car company, before you get your money back...

If you do a quick search here on TA, you will find a huge number of posts addressing the very issues you lament.

I have never heard of a $7000 deposit, though - and that seems rather strange to me.

Hattie, they arrived at $310 because it was $18/day for insurance PLUS the cost for the CDW (for which they were charged $13 a day - I assume), making it $310 total for the rental period.

Edited: 29 April 2011, 20:09
Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php…

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

Thanks, Framptonian, sometimes my pea brain doesn't work so well. I forgot about the CDW credit card thing.

You always give such good advice and information --- and I agree with you; I have never heard of a $7,000 deposit.

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

If you add $18 plus $13 it equals $31 x 10 days which is $310. They were asking us to pay both costs. One is mandatory and the other is optional ("optional" being that you pay it or have to put down $7000.) I did read the posts about the insurance beforehand. I was prepared to most likely be charged for some kind of insurance but not that much. I still think it's a scam. If insurance is required by law, why don't they just tell you up front and include it in the price???? Another family we ran into had to pay twice the amount they were quoted once they were charged the insurance at Hertz.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

You can call it as you like...to me sounds just another way to use people money for a week...ashame ...that is not nice from Hertz...

roadadvisor

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

Well, I can agree to this being labeled a "scam" when you think about the true costs not being disclosed. I do think that this is being a bit dishonest - in the same way that airlines quote you fares and only tell you about fees and "taxes" later on. At least, they do disclose these costs BEFORE you book. The vast majority of car rental agencies in Costa Rica do not disclose these added costs, a way of conducting business that just about nobody agrees with.

Unfortunately, it appears to be the status quo and is not isolated to Hertz, only.

If you have, in fact, read previous threads about this topic, it should have been abundantly clear that these practices come to play here. Still, it can't hurt to reiterate this point again for future travelers.

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

Dishonest is requiring a $1000 deposit to rent with a debit card (understandable) but then freezing $1200 instead. That's what Hertz at the airport in San Jose did.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rentals - Avoid Hertz at San Jose Airport

I rented with mapache last time and the price quoted via email was the price paid at the counter. The car was in good condition and ran flawlessly so next time I'll be back at mapache.