We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help

Hi guys! My husband and I are considering taking our 4 kids to Costa Rica, and the problem is I don’t really know very much about Costa Rica or where to visit or how to begin planning an itinerary for our trip. It will probably be a 6 night/7 day trip. We are a very active family. My husband and I are both in our 30’s, and we have 3 boys, ages 17, 14, & 10, and a daughter who is 13. Some of the things we’d like to do in Costa Rica include: see a volcano, zipline, fish, go to the beach, an ATV excursion, and all the kids love animals so maybe a rainforest tour where you could see some animals in their natural environment? Do you guys have any tips for getting me started or any suggestions for areas to visit? Also does one area suit all these activities or should we rent a car and visit a couple different areas? I know this is a vague request, but it’s really hard to be more specific when you’re not familiar with the areas. I’m sure more specific questions will follow later once I have an area to focus on. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help

You can do some research here:

www.govisitcostarica.com

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

www.arenal.com

www.tortuguerovillage.com

www.puertoviejosatellite.com

www.corcovadoguide.com

www.costa-rica-guide.com

For distances and driving times: www.yourtravelmap.com

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help

this is an easy one!

arenal/la fortuna for volcano, zip line, gigantic awesome waterfall, whitewater rafting and much more. stay at www.hotelvistadelcerro.com best price/location, friendly family owned and run, spotless, pool, breakfast included.

one of my favourite places in cr is montezuma, at the bottom of the nicoya peninsula. here you can rent ATVs on your own and explore. it's a beautiful ride through the mountains to mal pais onto st teresa along beaches then back over the mountains to montezuma. fishing is also good in this area. we stay at www.hotellosmangos.com again for price and location. right on property are howler monkeys with regular visits by capuchin monkeys and iguanas living in your roof! beaches here are good and the montezuma waterfall is narby as well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help

Hi, We just got back from Costa Rica. We had never been there before and I got a lot of my travel information off Trip Advisor. It is really helpful. My family is also very active (running, swimming, hiking, karate, etc.) My boys are 12 & 15. We stayed two nights in the Selva Verde Lodge in Sarapiquí. We saw a lot of wildlife and took the white water rafting tour down the river. It is a fun ride - they try to make it seem "scary" but it is very safe and a ton of fun. You do get wet. We then went to the La Fortuna/Arenal area and stayed two nights in the Tree House Hotel. This was, by far, my kids favorite place to stay. It is very unique - http://treehouseshotelcostarica.com/ and may not be for everyone. We then stayed at the Hotel Nayara for two nights. This is a beautiful hotel but next time I would go somewhere more kid friendly - not that they were not nice to my kids - they were great - but this was a more adult oriented hotel. My husband and oldest son did the Sky Trek zip line in Arenal. www.skyadventures.travel/index/index.html They loved it! My youngest and I cannot do heights so we skipped it but we did go up on the sky tram and watch them zip away. I have been told that this zip line and the one in Monteverde are the best to use. We also did a Arenal volcano hike and hot spring combo package. My boys loved both although I was a bit waterlogged - I am more use to competitive swimming than sitting in hot water :) We did not get to the beach areas but have been told that the Manuel Antonio park area is amazing. I think we will do that next trip. We also used a private driver rather than renting a car. We've driven all over the world (Mexico, Europe, New York, and we live in Los Angeles) so it is not that we didn't think we could navigate the roads. We just wanted to relax and treat ourselves. It was relatively the same price as renting a car and really nice. We used Tucan Limo Services. They were great. http://www.tucanlimoservices.com/ Anyway, good luck. It is a great country and really fun for family.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help

Thanks so much, Kathleen, for such a great trip report! It is obvious you and your family had a great time and your information will be very helpful to others.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help

Thank you Kathleen...for such a nice report ...and for recommend our services ...in Tucan Limo we love families...please Kathleen come back soon!

Maybe Arenal ...Monteverde and Manuel Antonio...it is very popular itinerary...kids will see animals...forest...insects...and nice beaches...sorry do not forgey the always gracious monkies...FREE and almost anywhere you go!

roadadvisor

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help

Thank you guys so much for all the helpful information. I have a lot to research, and I'm sure I'll have more questions for you guys soon! Thanks again! :O)

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help

Fly in/out LIR, take some days on the beach and some in the mountains.

Playa Hermosa is a good option for beach and activities and visit Rincon de la Vieja Volcano for nature, hot springs and adventure activities.

Playa Hermosa, that is just 20 minutes from LIR.

Close to Playa Hermosa, there is diving , snorkelling and fishing.

You have 6 nights, so you can squeeze Monteverde for 2 nights.

8. Re: Need Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 22:15