We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colones or US dollars~

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Colones or US dollars~

I have heard so much about how to pay for things in Costa Rica and I am wondering if it is better to get colones from the ATM and pay that way or get US dollars?? Thanks in advance and this site is wonderful for trip planning.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Colones or US dollars~

Most businesses will accept both, but if you are taking it from the ATM here, might as well get it in colones. Then you don't have to think about conversion while spending dollars.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colones or US dollars~

Agree with jako. I think the best advice is if something is priced in dollars, pay in dollars. If the price is in colones, pay in colones.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colones or US dollars~

Of course our official currrency is Colones...a lot better if you pay in Colones...less confussion...

roadadvisor

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colones or US dollars~

Better Colones as every place has their own exchange rate and you could end up loosing out or having prices rounded up to US Dollars.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colones or US dollars~

Thanks for all your help and I will take that great advice.

6. Re: Colones or US dollars~

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 01:17