We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term car rental

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Long term car rental

We will be spending five weeks in Costa Rica in July/August and while we weren't planning on renting a car for the entire time, I thought I would check and see if anybody knew of any particular rental companies that offered better deals for long term rentals. We are flying in/out of Liberia, but I know that some of the rental agencies will rent out of Liberia even if they don't have an office there, and just charge a delivery/pickup fee. Thanks!!!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long term car rental

I've checked before, not any good deals out there, ask the different companies for discounts. July-August is Green Season so prices will be lower anyways.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term car rental

Agree 100% with Cubanon...shop around...and try to avoid the mom and pop rent a cars...most of the time ...you rent a car and a big headache!

roadadvisor

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long term car rental

The only car rental company I've seen in cr with long term rates is vamos but be sure to do a thorough search here and read as much as you can about any rental car agency. Seems there is definitely no middle ground with smaller rental companies in cr. People either love them or hate them.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term car rental

Mr. Sullivan with your permmision....

As posted by Mr. Sullivan in his most recently trip report!

We rented a Daihatsu Terios 4x4. Two months cost ed $2700 which was competitive with everyone else, so we chose Mapache on Hattie's recommendation. The car had 97000 kilometers on it but drove just fine. It was clean inside and out and had the normal dings and scratches that you would expect. I recommend taking pictures of every panel of the car and stay close to the salesman as he checks off existing damage as our guy missed a few obvious things. Because we would have the car for over 30 days, we would have to bring it back for servicing. They were nearly insistant that we bring it back to Alajuela but at my insistance they let me get it serviced at their La Fortuna location. Why this was an issue in the first place I do not know. Only one thing kind of irritated me. The car we had had been broken into. It seems a previous renter had ignored the well known rule of leaving nothing in the car and a thief destroyed the door locks to get into the car. Undoubtedly Mapache charged this guy for new locks, but instead of putting original locks back in, they used a set of generic locks from the hardware store. This means there are two separate keys to the car. No big deal, except that the door key is tiny and had a particularly deep cut in it, making a potential weak spot. I was told that I should get a copy made in case I broke the key! He said they do have a spare but it would cost me $300 to have them deliver it to me. If they charged the previous renter for a new set of locks, they should have replaced all of them with genuine parts so you get one key that isn't in danger of breaking. That pissed me off a little. All in all, the car ran just fine and was perfect for two people. They say it can take four adults, but only if two of the adults are ten years old and don't mind sitting in the back the whole time. Good for two adults and two small children, not much more.

roadadv isor

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long term car rental

adobe rent a car does long term

adobecar.com

they have a store in LIR

I personally have used long term with them

do take all of the precautions indicated above

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long term car rental

Thanks guys. I emailed a few companies, and they all seem to be fairly close in the 1500-1600 range.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long term car rental

If that price in all the required insurance, is not a bad price.

San Lorenzo, Costa...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long term car rental

The best deals for car rent are through hotels that get lower price for cars

try call 506-2447 9331 for a good price . full insurence, zero deduction

pick up and drop off any where in Costa Rica .

Bethpage, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Long term car rental

You definitely have to try Vamos Rent a Car http://www.vamos4x4.com/vamos/

We used them during our trip and were very satisfied with their excellent service and very affordable prices especially for long term rentals. Go to their website anytime. They have a live assistance where you can inquire re their prices and services.

Enjoy your trip!

10. Re: Long term car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 05:28