We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

NYC
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

Hey folks- my wife and I will be at the tail end of our 8 day trip to costa rica.The first stages (Friday July 29th-Tuesday august 2nd) we'll be in Manuel Antonio at the Gaia Hotel. Then we'll fly to Arenal and stay (tuesday-aug. 2nd- friday -aug. 5th) at Tabacon. Our flight leaves 8am on sunday aug. 7th. So these were our choices for our sojourn to sjo:

(1) Leave friday afternoon and stay two nights( friday & Sat.) at peace lodge then get up early (4:30am) to make the 1 hour drive to airport for that 8am flight. - I'm not sure if it's worth leaving Arenal early to spend time At the Peace Lodge for those two nights.

(2) Leave sat. afternoon and stay at the Xandari Resort which is only 20 minutes from the airport.-This would give us a 3 1/2 day stay in Arenal instead of the 2 1/2 day stay with option (1)...how much time do we really need to enjoy the Arenal area any way?

Hmmmm...your thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated.

-Lee.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

We recently stayed at Gaia (I have a review on here) and Tabacon (also I reviewed our stay there). Our last night was at Xandari. We arrived late and didn't get to enjoy the grounds at all. In the dark the Xandari is nice but weird. Like time warp to 1975 in decor. I suspect grounds are great, but given expense, it wasn't really worth it to just have one meal and eat there. I think arriving there mid-day would be nice if you wanted to roam a little and lounge at one of the many pools. We stayed 3 nights in Manuel Antonio and Arenal and felt that amount of time was perfect. Only in Osa did we wish we had 5 versus 3 nights (Bosque del Cabo). Enjoy your trip. You've made great choices--I'm sure you will love whatever you decide for the last night(s).

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

Both hotels are nice but yes enjoy the grounds in both cases.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

With an 8 am flight, the airlines generally want you to be at the airport 3 hours ahead which means that you would have to get up really early to make it from Peace Lodge. Some airlines will not let you board if you have not checked in one hour before flight time. Check with your airline to be sure. It also makes a difference if you are driving or have a private driver. It will take less time with a private driver since he will be familiar with the roads and you won't have to turn in your rental car, etc.

I would recommend staying closer to Alajuela. Xandari would be fine as well as Orquideas Inn or Pura Vida Spa. From either of these, you can take day trips to Poas or take advantage of the many other things to do in the area. They all have beautiful grounds.

Three and a half days in Arenal would be fine - there's lots to do and see there and many good day trips as well.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,543 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

Dear Lee:

Peace Lodge is a OK place...a lot of fiberglass rocks and plastic flowers...very much like a Flinstones hotel...and of course if you like to see poor caged animals...hard to find anything better!

Xandary is closer to town...but maybe the best is Hampton Inn and Suites...just 3 minutes from SJO...

roadadvisor

NYC
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

Hamptons Inn is closest but if you are staying at places like Gaia and Tabacon, I suspect you are a bit more upscale than that. Xandari is VERY close to airport and taxi is pretty quick--especially so early in the morning.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

Xandari is a great place - but really not "VERY" close to the airport like Hampton Inn. It's about 15 minutes away and with your early flight, legman, it would be very fast that early in the morning.

To get to the airport from Xandari, you have to go through the middle of Alajuela which can be pretty bogged down with traffic at certain times. But I don't think any problem for you early AM.

Xandari would be a great choice.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

I would enjoy your last night at Xandari, definitely not at a Hampton Inn! You can be at the airport from Xandari in about 15 minutes (transfer is included in their prices btw). Even with 2 nights there one stay I still didn't get to see all the trails & falls they have on their property. You can really spend a lot of time wandering around the spacious grounds full of birds, plants & flowers. If you have time, get their welcome to paradise package at the spa, it includes jacuzzi time and a wonderful massage in an open air palapa overlooking San Jose. You may want to pack a light fleece as it gets a little nippy up there, although at the restaurant they'll bring you out blankets to warm you up if needed.

San Lorenzo, Costa...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

If you stayed at Tabacon and Gaia and you want to keep that level .

Real Intercontinental is the hotel for you .

not far from the airport . high standard .

take a day tour to Poas volcano and La Paz waterfall for one last destination.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,543 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

I suggested Hampton Inn...to be closer to town...and is good enough for one night...without affecting your level...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,543 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: peace lodge or xandari resort before sjo flight?

Doublee Tree Cariari...Intercontinental..Herradura...Marriot Belen....nice high end hotels...

roadadvisor