We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choose logical route for late June 10 night trip

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
118 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Choose logical route for late June 10 night trip

Arriving at 11:00 at SJO on June 17. Two adults have 10 nights with last night near airport due to early flight. I keep changing my mind about plans. It's a little early for turtle nesting as I understand so maybe Tortuego is not good choice. Since it's my first time I want to do Arenal and Monteverde. After that I am not sure. The Uvita and further south area sounds intriguing. We love nature and hiking. We love the ocean, too, but we are not necessarily beach time people. A little is fine, but we wouldn't spend days sitting around. Options may be limited due to nearness of travel. We are willing to use drivers, rent a car or a combination to get the best flow. The budget is 120 or less per night if possible for accommmodations.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choose logical route for late June 10 night trip

Even without turtles Tortuguero is incredible nice...

Depending of arrival time, you can drive to Arenal...or Monteverde...and between the two places you can use the Jeep/ boat/Jeep...nice simple door to door service...

Amybe Arenal...Monteverde...then to Manuel Antonio...Dominical and Uvita...you even have time to go all the way to Puerto Jimenez...

roadadvisor

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choose logical route for late June 10 night trip

Uvita area you will best enjoy it with a 4x4 rent a car. There are a lot of activities that don't involve beach like waterfalls, horse riding, Hacienda Baru private reserve, day trips by boat from Uvita beach to Cano island & Corcovado, Yoga, surfing water rafting, cannoning, rainforest walks, snorkeling, birdwatching, zip-lining, basically spoiled for choice. Uvita is an easy 3.5 hour drive from San Jose Airport. Manuel Antonio can be done as a half day drip by car 50 min from Uvita.

Arenal - Monteverde then Uvita back to San Jose or reverse.

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
118 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choose logical route for late June 10 night trip

If I arrive at 11:05 at SJO will I have enough time to get anywhere the first night? Also if I go to Uvita first what route should I take? I would love to see the mountains, but lots of posters seem to dislike the route. If I drive from north to south or reverse I will have to drive the nasty road between Monteverde and Arenal, won't I? I will need the rental car to contine on my route.

4. Re: Choose logical route for late June 10 night trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 19:19