We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

I am thinking of visiting Central America for about 6 weeks in September and the beginning of October. Please suggest an itinerary. I am 21 years old, on a budget and am happy to do treks. I am not overly adventurous when it comes to thrill-seeking.

Thanks.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

How much time are you thinking of spending in Costa Rica?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

Gap has a 46 day tour route outlined but it spends a lot of time in Mexico and very little time actually in Costa Rica. gapadventures.com/trips/…

If you delete Mexico from your trip you could easily expand your time in Costa Rica to visit beaches and wildlife. Since September and October are the rainiest months in most of Costa Rica (and Central America) I would suggest you head for the Caribbean coast after visiting Arenal. Unlike the rest of the country, September and October are the best weather months to visit the Caribbean coast and check out Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva and Manzanillo on . See more info at www.puertoviejosatellite.com

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

Spend the bulk of your time in the Caribbean side of the country, weather around Puerto Viejo is great Sept-Oct. But I would see as much of the country as you can, just be prepare for rain. Buses transportation in Costa Rica is very reliable as well as economical and safe.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

Hi Dana,

I see you have posted in the Costa Rica, Panama and Mexico Forums. No sure how many countries you actually want to see. I would say that for 6 weeks - you could try 3. But it all depends on how much travelling you want to do.

I will recommend the two I am most familiar with - Costa Rica and Guatemala. You have already received some good tips about logistics and weather in Costa Rica. For CR, the mail attraction is nature and beaches.

Guatemala is a fascinating place. It is more reasonable in price than Costa Rica, for the most part. From my trip in March it seems that it is quite popular with Israeli travellers these days. Places like Antigua and the villages around Lake Atitlan are very scenic, colourful and have lots of sites. It is relatively easy to get around and there is a good variety of accommodations and food options. Not sure if you speak any Spanish, but one idea might be to start your trip with a week or 2 taking Spanish Classes in Guatemala.

Since this is the Costa Rica Forum, I won't go on and on about another location. But if Guatemala interests you, I suggest you visit that forum

If you have any specific questions about Costa Rica, do not hesitate to ask here.

pura vida

raquel

Edited: 17 June 2011, 18:06
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

I think Costa Rica is waiting for you...the Caribbean side nice area and very much what you are looking for, also Arenal Volcano, Montezuma beach......just common sense!

roadadvisor

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
276 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

Wow, I am a little jealous! You are lucky.

As far as Costa Rica, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca on the Caribbean, and Montezuma and Mal Pais on the Nicoya Peninsula and Dominical on the Pacific may interest you if you want the beach, or San Jose offers many attractions as well.

I like the Lonely planet guide and have found it very helpful in deciding where to visit.

Safe travels!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

Thanks for all your replies.

I will keep on searching...

8. Re: Suggest itinerary - 6 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 07:18