We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cut out a night in Arenal to see Monteverde?

Rancho Cucamonga...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Cut out a night in Arenal to see Monteverde?

We are heading into CR on July 3rd and will be staying in the Los Suenos Marriott for 5 nights and then our plan is to head to Arenal for 3 nights in Hotel El Silencio del Campo.

I was hoping I would be able to get out to Monteverde one morning for a day trip but I realize it is much too long of a drive for one day so now I am considering cutting our time in Arenal down to two nights and spending one night in Monteverde before going to Arenal. The Los Suenos time is set and I can't change that.

Would this be worth it to see the cloud forest or should I just be happy with the wonderful time I will have anyways?

Mentioned in this post
Los Suenos
Los Suenos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Hotel El Silencio del...
1,999 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cut out a night in Arenal to see Monteverde?

Just be happy with the wonderful time You will have anyway and if lucky you will be bitten by a Costa Rica bug and thus next time around you may dedicate proper time to Monteverde - at least three overnights for two full days of excitement in the heart of the Cloud Forest.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Monteverde
Monteverde
Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge
Monteverde Cloud Forest...
531 Reviews
Santa Elena, Costa Rica
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cut out a night in Arenal to see Monteverde?

I would not cut Arenal down to 2 nights. That's not enough time there. You will have a great trip and enjoy Silencio del Campo. It's a great place. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cut out a night in Arenal to see Monteverde?

If you are really into, bugs, plants, birds, nice hikes, etc...cutting one nigth in Arenal can be worth it...but just to visit Monteverde for one night just to see it...it is not worth it...

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Rancho Cucamonga...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cut out a night in Arenal to see Monteverde?

I think you guys are right, I would be adding an extra 4 hours of travel time to the end of my trip to spend 1 night in Monteverde. I really want to see the cloud forest but I think it will be too much work and I should be happy with our destinations and start to think about our activities while we are there rather than adding more destinations.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
5. Re: Cut out a night in Arenal to see Monteverde?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 11:17