We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about safety

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
142 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about safety

3 girls traveling to Westin Playa Conchal

and after reading about Samara I am worried about staying now.

It looks like a great place with all the activities. Want to have a

safe trip in September but not sure now. Suggestions?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about safety

First of all, Samara is not near the Westin Playa Conchal so that is not an issue.

Second - I don't think you need worry about your safety. The area where you are going is very safe and there is a great choice of several nearby beach towns to explore. Plus the Playa Conchal is one of the most beautiful in Costa Rica.

If I was coming to Chicago and a tourist was murdered there and I said to you that I was afraid of coming to Chicago because of this, what would you tell me?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about safety

Chicago is way more dangerous than anywhere in costa rica. If you follow all the rules that you follow to keep you safe in chicago while in cr you should be just fine.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about safety

Exercise good common sense just like you do back home in Chicago and you'll have a great time. Playa Conchal is amazing and hotel is the best AI in the country.

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about safety

been through Chicago twice, first was via amtrak, left the station turned the corner saw an empty street except for a group of half a dozen very tough looking young men, we very quickly reversed course re-entering the station to take another exit.

last time went to visit an acquaintance who was living in a latino neighborhood---that night was glad the building was brick and my bed was below the windows as the gunshots rang out. We had to get the building jefe to accompany us when we were leaving to assist in dispursing the large group of guys who were surrounding our vehicle that was parked out front---

Stayed in Conchal on our first trip to Costa Rica in 2004, a very secure property, lush & beautiful area, one of the most beautiful beaches we've ever enjoyed. Rode bikes down the beach into town, the only threat to our safety was my going over the handlbars after encountering a patch of soft sand!

Go, have fun, but as you do at home, keep your wits about you, keep your expensive or flashy items at home or in your room.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,013 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about safety

Chicago is a lot more violent than anywhere in Costa Rica...just common sense and everything is going to be OK...

Westin is an incredible resort...hard to find a safer place in Costa Rica or anywhere else...

roadadvisor

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about safety

oops Seem to have stumbled into a Chicago forum. Not sure what Chicago safety stats have to do with CR.....

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about safety

jako - the OP is from Chicago so I just kind of reversed the question to ask what if I was concerned about visiting Chicago because of crime. Perhaps the same answer would apply to the OP visiting Costa Rica.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about safety

Sorry Hattie, didn't notice actually who said what, just noticed Chicago mentioned in each of the responses. Don't be mad but I was being a bit sarcastic. Only reason is that it seems like every thread these days counters any problem in CR with something that happened back in the States, Canada or Europe. For instance, someone mentions that it rained and flooded in an area last night. The next logical progression is somebody will mention how much it rains in some other place. The point I'm getting at I guess is that CR has problems, much as the rest of the world. I just went back through 10-15 threads to see if this train of thought held true and it did. No offense to anybody, please don't take it like that. Was just thinking it becomes kind of repetitive and makes it look like more than it is... Just my two cents worth. I love forums for this kind of back and forth and exchange of ideas. :)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about safety

jako - not mad at all! Just trying to explain.

The thing with "safety" and "crime" is that people hear about a murder or robbery and really don't know what to think. By equating the situation here with the situation where they live - there is crime everywhere, of course - it kind of brings a perspective to the whole thing.

As an example, if a tourist were killed in Miami, that doesn't mean I would be afraid to visit Miami.

We all acknowledge that petty theft is a problem in Costa Rica and give advice all the time for dealing with that. But personal safety is a different issue. A person should always have good common sense about personal safety and be aware of their surroundings all the time. This is true no matter where they are.

So often, we find that people do things here that they would not do at home - kind of "letting it all hang out" and this kind of behavior can lead to trouble. Trying to fight with a criminal who is trying to rob you is another risky behavior and rarely pays off unless you have SAS or Army Ranger training.

As for weather and rainfall and forecasts .... don't get me started hahaha!

Agree that this exchange of ideas is great. I learn things all the time.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about safety

I live in south florida.I travel to Costa Rica at least twice a year.I'm female,traveled solo this year.I never feel scared,but take the same precautions I do at home.I was in Arenal when the student was shot.We have a lot of crime in Florida,and the whole world.Enjoy the beauty and very nice people of Costa Rica.Of course,don't flaunt expensive jewelry,money,or go home with someone you just met.That's common sense.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States