We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desafio 5 day budget package vs. DIY

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Desafio 5 day budget package vs. DIY

Hi, I'm a recent addition to the TA forum and have been reading the last few months of posts and you guys provide an extremely valuable service.

I have been checking into our various options for CR.

We are coming in on Sunday for the last week of July and was planning on doing the first 4 nights at the Arenal Lodge, one night by Poas and the last two in San Jose (to visit friends.)

Figuring about $100 dollars a night in hotels (because we would want the room with a view) plus 350 for the car rental (once you factor in insurance and gas) and about 100 per day in activities per person.

VS

The 5 day budget package with Desafio at $507 a person (and booking the San Jose stuff separately) we'd come out about $500 bucks ahead and not have any headaches...

monteverdetours.com/tours/packages/5-day-bud…

thoughts anyone?

(also, would a corolla be enough for that itinerary, even to get up to the lodge etc... during the rainy season?)

thanks a million!

Edited: 28 June 2011, 04:50
Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
544 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desafio 5 day budget package vs. DIY

I can say Desafio will treat you right. The hotels they offer in the package are not near the quality of Arenal lodge. Basic hotels nothing fancy.

If money is an issue then this would be a good option.

Nice tours included however my advice would be to skip the Monteverde horseback ride and go to the Cloud Forest reserve with a guide instead that morning. You will learn about the forest.

But that would be up to you.

However you do it have fun.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,112 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desafio 5 day budget package vs. DIY

Desafio is a good outfitter, but you will be sharing vans and following set up itineraries...if you are ok with that is a good deal...but for a few dollars you will be in total control of your vacation!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desafio 5 day budget package vs. DIY

I think it really depends on what you want in a vacation. I used to plan all of our vacations (and we did some doozies) but I've now gotten to the point that I just don't want all the headaches of trying to get us from point A to point B (especially in a foreign country). It's really a personal choice.

If you want flexibility and to be adventurous (and think of the driving as part of the adventure) then you can do it on your own.

If the thought of having to figure all that stuff out stresses you out, then go with the tour...this is your vacation, stress shouldn't be part of it. You can't go wrong with DesAfio...they are a fantastic & reliable company! Hope this helps!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Desafio 5 day budget package vs. DIY

thanks everyone for all your help! i think in the end we'll do a mixture b/c we are a bit nervous about all the things that can go wrong when driving in CR. so we'll hire a driver but plan our own stuff so we have the independence.

safe travels,

jorj

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,880 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desafio 5 day budget package vs. DIY

Good Plan. Here is a list of private drivers recommended in this forum if you need them.

Juan Carlos and Rubier at tjtransfers@gmail.com

Oscar Chavarria at cuco2228@hotmail.com

Willy at w_opciones@yahoo.com

Wilson at wilson_elsy@yahoo.com.

Carlos Bagarin at encantados@ice.co.cr

Danny Jimenez at crdannytravels@yahoo.com

Diego and Alvaro at odysseytours@gmail.com

Cheers

6. Re: Desafio 5 day budget package vs. DIY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 18:17