We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

Montezuma, Costa...
5 posts
Save Topic
A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

I am making this post so If someone wants to rent this room they really know what they are getting. On their web site(Rancho Zuma) it is advertised ''The beach, bars, and shops are about a 15-20 minute walk from the cabins''. They forgot to mention its a 25-30 minute high cardio walk up and down steep hills.

Another HUGE problem I have is that it the kitchen it comes with is not useable. The oven does not work and all the pans are rusted and or peeling teflon, I've been cooking in a metal bucket.

The rooms are nice and basic for the price so no complaints there.

Nasty pans I am supposed to use

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_2047.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_2043.jpg

Stove doesn't work

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_2048.jpg

The owner will not refund my money for unused days because I'm leaving this place early due to a inaccurate property description.

AVOID THIS PLACE AVOID THIS PLACE AVOID THIS PLACE AVOID THIS PLACE

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

Went into their website and the rate is $250 - is that per night or per week?

The stove in your pic is actually in the website pics.

Montezuma, Costa...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

Its $250 month which seems like a great deal, but you get what you pay for.

Lession learned

Edited: 12 July 2011, 02:51
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

That works out to about $8 a day.... Costa Rica is not what I would call a budget location, on the contrary it is the most expensive country in all of Central America.

You are right, you get what you pay for. Many hostels and backpacking hotels charge $15 - $25 a night. They are basic, but clean.

$250 a month is one of those too good to be true situations. Sorry to hear about your trouble, doesn't look like a very nice place.

Montezuma, Costa...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

***edit got a partial refund

Edited: 12 July 2011, 03:09
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

Good of you to follow up with that, and glad you were able to work something out.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

Dude - I gotta say that even though a hotel has to provide working kitchens, clean rooms and a safe environment ... I think that you need to take things in stride: this place is a $250 a month hotel ($8/night)!

They even posted pictures of the oven and the rooms - they were open that it was an older place. I think you should give them a break ... even more that they gave you partial refund.

Why not delete this thread? and the others you posted in multiple websites?

This place is a hotel with 5 rooms that charges $250/night - that's a whopping $1,250 a month in income!! With such bad press you might be taking down a family's only source of income just because a stove was old - I mean this ain't like posting a bad review of a Hilton. Please consider closing this post.

Edited: 12 July 2011, 03:54
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

Sorry you had a bad experience! I can see the website is misleading. Though as said, you get what you pay for. In Costa Rica $250 per month for a vacation rental in a tourist beach location is not bad. I have see far worst places for $450 pm… Normally a passable vacation rental would not be less than $750 p/m from my experience. I agree with the previous post, need to consider the cost of living in Costa Rica and value for money and consider deleting this post as they gave you a partial refund.

Edited: 12 July 2011, 04:29
PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

I don't see why he should remove a post when he is just telling the issues with it. he states the rooms are good so if you are willing to pay only $250 a month for a room and don't need the kitchen and don't mind the Cardio work out.. great.. but IF you were expecting something different, this is the reality. There is nothing wrong with making sure people know what they are getting into.

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

And actually it might benefit the place because looking at web site i would have thought they were asking $250 a night since it does not say Month and now anyone reading this thread is going to say.... Wow $250 a month? i need a place to crash and this is good... i can eat elsewhere on this budget :)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,405 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A place not to stay at in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Rancho Zuma

Please DO NOT delete this post. In fact it is a great advertising for Rancho Zuma. It did explain that the pricing is REALLY affordable for Costa Rica. Regarding the pans, yes they are not useable and to be thrown away. I would buy one new pan myself if the rest of the property loooks half as nice as on the photos. Well, different people different approach. Cardio walk is common in Costa Rica, many tourists enjoy it, hiking the Rio Celeste or Corcovado etc. However you are right, one should be informed about the steep hill as this might be an obstacle difficult to overcome. Maybe an email to the owner with your complaints / suggestions and he will correct the website info (and probably put a new set of pans in the kitchen; then he will rise the price, obviously).