We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using an Android phone as a GPS in Costa Rica

Palo Alto, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Using an Android phone as a GPS in Costa Rica

I use my Android phone for a GPS in the US. I will not have phone or data service in Costa Rica, but I will have periodic wifi service at hotels.

I believe there are addons to Google maps that will cache sections of the map so it is possible to use the GPS without constant data connection. Has anyone had any success using something like this in Costa Rica instead of purchasing or renting a GPS?

Grand Junction...
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Using an Android phone as a GPS in Costa Rica

It is not Android, but iPhone has an option.

…apple.com/us/…

2. Re: Using an Android phone as a GPS in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:34
Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using an Android phone as a GPS in Costa Rica

Probably better idea to just bring a GPS with CR map or rent one from car rental, some offer for free

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
459 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using an Android phone as a GPS in Costa Rica

You would need to know exactly where you are going in order to cache map. Really not practical.

I actually tried it once and you ride around in your car looking at a blank map.

If you really want to use your phone, then I would unlock your phone and get a local SIM card with Internet service.

Have fun!

5. Re: Using an Android phone as a GPS in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 00:18