We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

Hi everyone!

My name is Wendy and I often contribute here on TripAdvisor. On this forum we are constantly being asked about the dogs in Costa Rica and what people can do to help. There are many great organizations in CR but I know that many people like to bring down things for donation (vs giving money to somebody they don't know). That said, I just wanted to throw out some items that one of the large organizations said they are in need of (and this should be for all of them) so here goes:

Collars

Leashes

Medicines for pain

Flea/tick medicines

Somebody even once brought down a bunch of sutures for doing sticthes because they were in the medical field and had access to that. :-)

The list goes on...

Wherever you are planning to visit, find the local organization near you and they would be happy to have your donations. :-) If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me and I will be happy to help. Have a great day everyone!!! Pura Vida!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

Hi wendy. Could you pm me an address so I can mail some dog gear to cr? I travel very light when I come to cr so it's easier and cheaper for me to mail stuff rather than check a bag. An address for la fortuna and montezuma would be great. Thanks!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

Thanks Sonny! :-) Just sent you a PM with the info you requested. :-) Have a great day!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

Great advice Wendy

Paris, France
Level Contributor
562 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

sonny, if you mail dog stuff here it is going to get tied up in customs and probably cost more to get released than just buying the stuff next time you come here. Definitely between shipping costs and customs fees (which are based on the value of the stuff you are shipping and the cost of freight) it will cost more. On the other hand, if you checked one bag coming you could donate it as soon as you arrive and still travel lightly.

Edited: 18 August 2011, 23:49
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

I have a great account that you can send via regular (aka cheap) mail and then I get an e-mail when a package arrives and I pay the import taxes (which I'm happy to do). I'll also be in the US in early November and I could bring stuff back with me, whatever works! :-) Any way the stuff gets here that's convenient is fine by me (and the dogs). :-)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

We have always taken an extra suitcase with us and we have filled it with school supplies. I think that we may have to start cramming some doggie supplies in there too.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

I too like to bring donations when on vacations to mexico in the past. I asked on nicaragua site for ideas since it seems there economy is worse but I had no replies.

So if I bring stuff in luggage I may have problems in customs?

Going to nicaragua first then traveling by bus to costa rica

Thanks for any details

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

i considered buying the stuff locally but i haven't seen leashes or collars in the regular grocery stores and haven't seen a pet store anywhere. i would much rather buy the stuff in cr easier, cheaper, good for cr economy. anyone know of a pet store in san jse, alajuela or la fortuna?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

Freberd,

We have never had any issues with bringing items in our suitcases. We brought probably 20 calculators this last time too.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attention Dog Lovers traveling to Costa Rica...

What do you think about nicaragua?