We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moin to Tortuguero

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
566 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Moin to Tortuguero

We are thinking about going to Tortuguero while we are on the coast, and have a few questions.

Is the boat ride from Moin as interesting and wildlife filled as the one from La Pavona recently described in the topic about how to do Tortuguero without breaking the bank? How much should we pay roundtrip? Or is it more worthwhile to embark from La Pavona as a stopover on our way to San Jose? Are any of the rides from Moin done as wildlife excursions or are they all locals transportation?

We would prefer to leave most of our luggage (4 carryons) in the car if any of the parking areas are guarded-is that reasonable?

Can we arrange tours in Tortuguerro besides those in canoes?-I'm just getting too old for that.

I know this is turtle season-can we reasonably expect to see turtles or is it completely random and unlikely on any particular night?

Thanks for your help-I hope this isn't too many questions at once.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moin to Tortuguero

1. The trip from Moin to Tortuguero takes about 3 hours and goes through some of the most beautiful country you have ever seen. Lots of wildlife and most boat captains will slow down or stop to let you see it.

I forget how much it costs - something like $10 - probably less.

2. I would not do this on the way to San Jose.

3. The parking area at Moin is fenced and guarded. Just don't leave anything important in the car - just in case. It helps if you buy an inexpensive blanket, put your bags on the floor and hide them as much as possible.

You could bring your bags with you to Tortuguero also if you are really concerned.

4. You can arrange many types of tours in Tortuguero, including boat tours in a motorboat or hiking tours. www.tortuguerovillage.com

5. It is very likely that you will see turtles coming ashore and laying their eggs. I was there last October and the morning after we were able to see one turtle laying her eggs, I saw 25 tracks of turtles that had come ashore during the night.

The turtle watch tour is strictly regulated and you must go with a guide and obey everything the guide says. The most important thing is protecting the turtles and you can't do anything to jeopardize them.

Edited: 22 August 2011, 20:48
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moin to Tortuguero

Hattie why you are always correct.?..I ´m 100% with you...and I admire you every day...for the love and dedication to know our country...GRACIAS

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moin to Tortuguero

too bad you're already married, roadadvisor! haha

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moin to Tortuguero

I ain't married and rosie wouldn't mind if you took me out for drinks...

5. Re: Moin to Tortuguero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 00:18