We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose Marriott???

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose Marriott???

Okay, now I am thinking of perhaps having our family stay at the San Jose Marriott, and do day trips from there. We can use our points, so the stay will be free, along with food. But, do you think this would be a good choice? It looks more central for day trips. BUT, I am obviously no expert:) So, what tours could we do from this Marriott? Would the options for canopy tours be better? How far away would the rainforest tram tours be? We have adventurous boys, ages 10 and 8, and also a 2 year old, who I will occupy while the big guys are on the excursions with dad. Any thoughts? Thank you for your patience and honest answers.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose Marriott???

IMO bad idea. This has beeen discussed a few times before. If you can stay with points I would check out the other Marriott options in CR. I have stayed at the San Jose Marriott and the Los Suenos. Both nice, but I suspect the newer one near Tamarindo would be better all around.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose Marriott???

Probably good for only a few days, rafting, Poas, Irazu, coffee plantations, your family would enjoy Guanacaste much more.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose Marriott???

I really like the hotel...and FREE is even better...

You can do...Poas...Irazu...Pacuare...Orosi...Turriablba...Carara...Manuel Antonio...Calypso Island Tours...Tarcoles Crocodrile tours...Aerial Tram...Doka Coffee Tour...etc..etc

MAny years ago, most of our visitors used to stay in San Jose and we used to drive them all over the place...and as far I remember they love the idea....

Maybe a couple nights at Arenal Volcano that will do it...but honestly I like your idea...and is FREE!

roadadvisor

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose Marriott???

Thanks for all of your honest replies! I rely on TA so much in our travels, and I previously asked about tours from Marriott Los Suenos. Which Marriott would be the best choice? I am thinking the JW is too far away and is too isolated(although it looks beautiful, and the beach area might be great for the kids...now I am starting to second guess every decision I seem to make!!!).

We have a mission segment that will be out of San Jose for a day, so we will definitely stay at the Marriott then. I was just starting to think that maybe it would be best to stay in SJ, instead of Los Suenos,. I ideally would like to stay at Tulumar (I am sorry, I think I spelled that wrong) in MA, but the free Marriotts keep calling. I just want to make sure that the boys and my hubby and myself really get to experience the many diverse, exciting, and educational parts of Costa RIca...and, unfortunately, we only will have about 10 days.

There are just so many options, and I guess I am a bit overwhelmed! The only thing we have to make sure of is that we have at least one night in San Jose.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose Marriott???

Great idea maybe...some days in San Jose Marriot then a few more days around Los Sueños...

You can drive to Manuel Antonio and enjoy the park...it is only about 1 hour and half...

Of course Tulemar and Buena Vista Villas and Casas is a spectacular place to stay...but once again...you can drive to MA from Los Sueños...

Agree with you JW Marriot is also a great choice...but way to far from SJO...

roadadvisor

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose Marriott???

THanks everyone! I still have time to ponder all of the information that I have. I will probably have more questions soon!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose Marriott???

IMO you shouldn't use points if you are going in low season. The Los Suenos is a level 6 hotel so you use a bunch of points - you can pay around $150/night now in the low season.

The San Jose Marriott is a level 6 so you use 30K points - also not worth it for a $160/night hotel.

I would stay at the Residence Inn - which is their newest hotel for 20K points. Very nice hotel also.

Then again I am a Marriott point hog. I only use them when the hotels are charging outrageous rates like $300/night in Chicago for a level 2 hotel.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jose Marriott???

Excellent point by rohrmoser...great interesting point...

roadadvisor

9. Re: San Jose Marriott???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:17