We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental location(s) near SJO

Colorado
Level Contributor
398 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
car rental location(s) near SJO

Will be in CR next month. We arrive after dark and have reservations at the Hampton Inn near airport.

It's been 5 yrs since our last visit, but I recall there were a handful of car rental agencies across the street from Hampton. In addition, there was an Avanti location down a hidden driveway behind the hotel.

Is it still the same?

Can you avoid the airport tax on car rentals by renting direct from office(s) located near the hotel?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental location(s) near SJO

I don't know about Avanti, but otherwise -- yes, there are several car rental agencies in one building across a service lane from (i.e. directly west of) the Hampton. I think that location is sometimes called Rio Segundo. We rented from Solid there would recommend them. They picked up at SJO, tax did not apply.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental location(s) near SJO

They still there...some names maybe change...but new companies there...some good some bad...avoid Economy if you can...no good news!

roadadvisor

Colorado
Level Contributor
398 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental location(s) near SJO

Thanks. We don't like to book in advance and then have problems later.

We will take the shuttle to the hotel after we land and the walk over the rental car places in the morning. Avanti had the best rate 5 years ago, but have read some negative comments on this board since then. Lowest rate is not always best if there are problems with the car or the contract.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental location(s) near SJO

You're right...there is a little "car mall" area across from Hampton Inn but I remember thinking "I've never heard of that company". I know one "major" company is there but I wouldn't have that be your deciding factor for who you go with. National is right there too just on the other side of the hotel FYI. Most, if not all of the car rental agencies will deliver the car to you the next morning so book with whatever company you feel comfortable with. :-)

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental location(s) near SJO

We just returned last night and did exactly what you suggest-stayed at the Hampton and picked up the car the next morning from Alamo, which sent a shuttle to the hotel altho it is just around the corner. We got the cheapest rate using the Costco discount and picking up the car at the Rio Segundo office. Not paying the tax paid for the hotel.

6. Re: car rental location(s) near SJO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 21:17