We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corovado Day Trips

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Corovado Day Trips

As we are planning on staying in Drake Bay for over a week this Christmas at Las Caletas, we naturally on planning on doing two day trips that the resort offers into Corovado.

Does anyone know how these day trips work?

I'm told we can either do the Sirena or San Pedrillo trips..........We were thinking of doing Sirena twice or should we mix it up and San Pedrillo once instead?

I assume we get boated into the ranger stations but do we end up doing an all day loop and ending up in the same place we started or at a different exit point...........Basically I have read the Sirena to San Pedrillo hike is very worthwhile and do most of these day trips allow for that trip as I believe it is 25 km and crosses three rivers??

Interested to know what trails may be best to explore in the two days but I am sure the guide will have a good idea.

Huntsie

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corovado Day Trips

I've stayed at Las Caletas and last year and visited the Sirena ranger station. The trip left very early morning for the beach near the ranger station and a picnic meal was provided. There are multiple trails bounded by 2 rivers at Sirena and depending on where the animals have been congregating lately you may head any of 3 directions from the ranger station which is set way back from the beach.

The San Pedrillo hike includes a beautiful waterfall and some primary rainforest (unlike the area around Sirena which has tons of wildlife but a good bit of it is secondary growth).

I'd suggest you do both. You can not do the hike between the ranger stations because it has been closed by the government to protect animal habitat.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 00:59
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corovado Day Trips

Great advice by crfan as always...

Also you may contact...Jaguardman at this forum...he is a great local guide in that part of our country...as some people said...locals know better!

roadadvisor

Edited: 13 September 2011, 01:22
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Corovado Day Trips

Great advice once again guys.......answered many of my questions.....thank you!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corovado Day Trips

I would recommend doing an overnight in Sirena rather than two separate day trips. The Sirena station is very rustic (warm drinking water, cold showers, one hour of electricity per night) but it's an amazing experience.

Skip San Pedrillo. Sirena is where the action is.

We used Kenneth Moran who operated out of Drake Bay and is an EXCELLENT guide. We can personally recommend him based on personal experience--I'll never forget him helping us track a pack of peccaries by scent.

We can provide his contact information if need be.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Corovado Day Trips

Thanks Racandee for your advice...........We had considered an overnight but with our schedule we couldn't fit it in and we now have confirmed for a week at Las Caletas which we are very excited about.

As far as a guide, we may go with the guide I assume that Las Caletas offers as I have heard good reviews and I wouldn't want to offend the resort if we booked a guide outside of their own or is this common practice??

All in all, we can't wait especially for our week down in Osa!!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corovado Day Trips

You can do an overnight from Las Caletas--if you're staying a week in Drake you have more than enough time to spend one night at Sirena. Las Caletas would no doubt be happy to arrange it for you.

What we did was spend two nights at Finca Maresia, ,two at Sirena, and then two more at Finca Maresia.

Our lodge booked Kenneth for us, so you may be right that going through the lodge is the way to go.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corovado Day Trips

Completely agree with Racandee. If you're considering two hikes, do the overnight at Sirena instead. Las Caletas can connect you with a guide, you can also google Osa Aventura.

8. Re: Corovado Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 17:17