We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose airport travel times

Palo Alto, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose airport travel times

Hopefully someone will have some experience with this-- it's my first time traveling in Costa Rica. I'm flying from Liberia to San Jose, arriving just before 9am. I'd like to go on a day trip to the La Paz Waterfall Gardens, which leaves from my hotel in downtown San Jose at 10:20am. How often are these flights on time, and if we taxi straight to the hotel from the airport, do you think I can make the tour?

Thanks!

L.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,386 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose airport travel times

If I understand your plans correctly you've left about 40 minutes or so in cushion time in case something were to go wrong. I'd plan on about 1/2 hour taxi drive from the airport to San Jose.

There are quite a few variables here/things that could go wrong. Is this the first flight of the day or is the plane coming into Liberia before you depart? Driving from the airport (SJO? near Alajuela) into San Jose is the next unknown. A bad accident could snarl traffic and throw a wrench into your plans. Sometimes just driving from one end of downtown San Jose to the other is a major headache.

I think you should add more time between your flight and the tour. Not sure if you're flying Nature Air or Sansa which will determine which airport you fly into (Tobias Bolaños or Juan Santamaria).

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose airport travel times

Are you flying on Sansa or Nature Air? That would make a big difference on how much time you'd really have.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose airport travel times

Midori is so right. Sansa flies into SJO which is in Alajuela, about 20-30 minutes from San Jose, depending on traffic. Nature Air flies into Pavas, a suburb of San Jose and much closer to your destination.

4. Re: San Jose airport travel times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 10:21