We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To prebook hotels or to wait....?

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
To prebook hotels or to wait....?

We are going to Costa Rica from December 4- 19. The plan is to go to the Caribbean (PV) side for a week and then the Santa Teresa/ Mal Pais the second week.

A couple of years ago we went to Phuket Thailand and I pre-booked hotels which i came to regret as the walk in price was much lower and it wasn't nearly as busy as we expected and had no problems finding hotels (same time of year).

So my question is..given the time of year we are traveling is it a good idea to pre-book hotels or will walk in bookings be best?

FYI- we are not super fancy travelers (like a clean bed and private toilet though!)

Cheers!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To prebook hotels or to wait....?

I think you will be fine. That's a tricky time of year though. People "in the know" come this time of year, it's a good time to do it before everyone gets inundated at Christmas.

IMO I think you will maybe not find that everything has space but enough will that you will do fine. Definitely book your first and last night somewhere, works better.

Cheers

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To prebook hotels or to wait....?

I agree completely with Incabod. That time of the year will be a little iffy, however, you're going to areas that have a ton of hotel options and you sound like you'll be easy to please. :-) I do like the idea of booking your last night since that's so close to Xmas you don't want to be stranded spending your last night in CR at the airport!

Enjoy!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To prebook hotels or to wait....?

If you are going to do it that way... then at least have a list of hotels with their phone so you can call then when you are there.

You don't want to use a large part of your vacation looking for a place. December is high season....

You will also find that most times the better hotels are the ones that will be booked. For example, for November I am getting lots of problems booking Hidden Canopy Treehouse in Monteverde - but can always find rooms at lesser hotels.

Edited: 02 October 2011, 02:35
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To prebook hotels or to wait....?

If you find a hotel through your research that you really want to stay in, book at least a couple nights, then look around when you're there.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,905 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To prebook hotels or to wait....?

That is the best way to travel around that time of the year...book at least one night then shop around...some cancellations some times open some days and you can even have and find a good deals!

roadadvisor

Edited: 02 October 2011, 19:18
6. Re: To prebook hotels or to wait....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:21