We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best beach location?

West Jordan, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Where is the best beach location?

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica this summer, and I need to know what locations I should be looking at.

Also, what airport is the most common to fly into?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best beach location?

There are two international airports: San Jose SJO and Liberia LIR. SJO is the largest and most popular but LIR is the best if you are heading for one of the northern Pacific beaches.

LIR has just completed a major renovation and addition and while fares to SJO are usually less expensive, many airlines are having good sales on fares to LIR.

There are over 100 beaches in Costa Rica so hard to recommend anything without knowing more about your plans. What most people do is spend a few days near a volcano - such as Rincon de la Vieja or Arenal - for the many activities there and then some time at the beach.

Keep in mind that Costa Rican beaches are not the pure white, sugar sand beaches you find in the Caribbean but mostly volcanic in origin, ranging from beige to black. There are a couple of white sand beaches - Playa Azucar is one.

For more information on beaches, check here anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…beach for lots of beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best beach location?

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a swimmable beach? Do you want a great surfing beach? Are you intent on snorkeling? Do you want to walk the beach for miles or would you be happy with a beautiful isolated cove hidden in the trees? Do you need a swimming pool and AC or just a gorgeous beach? There are so many great beaches in Costa Rica it's hard to respond without knowing a little more about what you are looking for. Not trying to be difficult - just help you to find exactly what you're looking for.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best beach location?

Depends on what you are looking for in a beach. Off the beaten path or lots of shopping and dining options? Nightlife? Animals? Surfing? Fishing? All-Inclusive?

The most common airport is San Jose and in most cases it's a little cheaper to fly into than Liberia, but you can check both.

Mentioned in this post
Liberia
Liberia
Africa
West Jordan, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best beach location?

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful replies! We will probably be trading a timeshare, so where we stay kind of depends on what we can get.

We do a lot of body boarding, but I love finding a secluded beach off the beaten path as well. We will have two small kids, so we can't do much hiking though, if that's required to get to a hidden beach.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best beach location?

Also check out Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side, just South of town there are some incredible beautiful beaches most of the time, you'll be almost alone.

Punta Uva has some beautiful peaceful beaches for swimming, and there are some beaches near by for boogie boarding. also beautiful Cahuita National Park and the Gandoca Manzanilo Refuge for easy nature hikes, your kids will love the Jaguar Rescue Center as well as all the wildlife in the Caribe Sur.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best beach location?

I don't think you;re going to find any timeshares on the Caribbean coast, although I agree it's got some of the prettiest beaches in the country. You are likely to be looking at northern Pacific beaches or the Central Pacific (Jaco and Manuel Antonio/Quepos). Jaco is a surfing destination and does not have swimmable beaches so I'd give it a pass with young children. Manuel Antonio has a small national park with lots of wildlife, and a beautiful swimmable beach inside the park as well as a large public beach with waves (and occasional riptides) right outside the park entrance. This might be your best bet if you can find a timeshare nearby.

The northern Pacific beaches from Samara north include both surfing beaches and some beautiful swimmable ones. The best are Playa Conchal or Playa Pan de Azucar (no timeshares and only 1 hotel) or Playa Carillo near Samara.

Suggest you sort out the 2-3 options that sound best to you and then ask for more feedback here.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best beach location?

I don't know what I was thinking, nope, not the Caribbean Coast for time share, Thank God.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best beach location?

May it ever be so!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best beach location?

I would suggest Manuel Antonio as well beautiful place with great beaches. For Manuel Antonio you would need to fly into San Jose

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best beach location?

My God Mike that is a hard question to answer..let me try!

Nice to check..Santa Tereza and Mal Pais...

Ta Central Pacific, Manuel Antonio and UVITA check Tikivillas great place perfect for a family...the hotel is run by a young couple and the lovely kids..

Tamarindo great for surfing the Southern point great for kids...most of the time is like a huge pool!

Of course 100% with Cubanon...some great beaches at the Caribbean side of the country!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America