We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Review

Caledon, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Review

Hello Everyone,

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and we are very close to finalizing our Costa Rica trip for this coming holiday season (our planning started late).

Here is our trip plan:

Arrive in Liberia

- pick up car rental

3 nights in Arenal at Linda Vista del Norte

- Arenal Volcano Hike and Baldi Hot Springs

2 nights in Monteverde at Hotel El Establo

- Selvatura Canopy Tour and Supension Bridges

- Cafe Monteverde Coffee Tour

4 nights in Tamarindo at Diria Beach Resort

- surfing lessons and relaxing

Here are my questions:

1. Should we rent a car or hire transportation?

2. What are your thoughts on our hotel choices?

3. Where should we do white water rafting?

4. Should we plan anything in advance for Tamarindo?

Any and all comments/feedback are greatly appreciated!!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Review

Great to have the flexibility with your own vehicle. Linda Vista is isolated. Also you'll make good use of it in Monteverde getting around. Great scenery between locations to enjoy. I recommend a 4x4 although not strictly necessary for your journey you will be a lot more comfortable, and safer.

Hard to comment on your hotel choices without knowing what you're looking for.

Sailing tours from Tamarindo are great, as are tours to Palo Verde.

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Review

OP, other members will ad their suggestions but I will start and say your itinerary looks good as is. You have lots of great activity sprinkled with relaxation and time to take photos and enjoy the beauty that is Costa Rica.

The car rental will give you the flexibility you want to come and go, compared to a driver or shuttle that puts you on a schedule. My suggestion for transport is a small 4x4 which will be helpful around Arenal/Monteverde. A name brand rental company is best, and carefully check the vehicle for damage, as well as be prepared for the mandatory insurance...an added cost.

As to Tamarindo, you have chosen a great resort, I would leave your time open to let the fun and sun dictate your days/evenings, and visit local bars/restaurants with people you will probably meet.

Have a great trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Review

Dear Extremesuburb.. WELCOME to our country!

Great Itinerary...also great idea about the rent a car...

About your hotels...Linda Vista is about 25 minutes on a gravel road on the way to El Castillo...the road condition is not a big deal at all...it is hard surface...every time you like to go to La Fortuna it will bea about 40 minutes...nice ride!

El Establo is a nice hotel...great location...some rooms with incredible view of Nicoya Gulf...incredible mounatins views as well...good breakfats included on your fare...any problem ask for Mr. Beeche...

Great hotel Diria...the best location in Tamarindo...

You can try some rafting while in Arenal area...Balsa river or Toro Amarillo...nice rafting...

In Tamarindo is better to wait and see what tours are selling better...very much based on weather...maybe Palo Verde...nice place to see wild life...and you can drive there and save about 40% of the fare...

Please do not hesitate to ask any question here at the forum...a lot of people willing to share information with you...most of them great decent people!

roadadvisor

Edited: 13 October 2011, 19:21
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Review

Great advice by exbeacher I also really like your itinerary, it is very well balanced and with lots of activities. A car rental will give you the flexibility of come and goas you please. Have a great trip!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Review

Everything looks great, maybe change From Baldi to EcoTermales or if you want to spend more Tabacon. And do rent a car, it will come in handy.

Caledon, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Review

Thank you to everyone for their input. It is great help and gives me confidence in our trip plans!

A couple more questions:

1. Should we spend one more night in Tamarindo rather than Arenal?

2. Should we pay the premium to stay at Mountain Paradise vs. Linda Vista?

Thanks!!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Review

I'd keep the 3 nights in Arenal.

Change hotels-really a personal decision. If you've got the cash and happy with the location, why not?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Review

Well I would also keep the 3 nights in Arenal. Mountain Paradise is a great hotel and you will be happy if you go there.

9. Re: Itinerary Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:17