We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

We are planning a 7 day trip to Costa Rica over the Christmas/New Year break for our family of five (three older teens). Our current plans are to arrive in SJ in the morning, fly to Puerto Jimenez and spend three nights at Lapa Rios. Fly back to SJ and take ground transportation to Pacuare Lodge for three nights. Final night in SJ before we fly home. After digging through the forums, and reading about other itineraries, I'm wondering if I should break it up and add another destination. I've made all the lodging and and internal air reservations myself - not using a travel agent. Any thoughts or feedback? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
Pacuare River, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

Two locations is just right for your week in Costa Rica. If you have made your reservations, just stick with it because that's a very busy time and you might not be able to get something else just as good.

With only one week, you do have to pick and choose. You have made two great choices and I would go with them. To see more, you would definitely need more time in the country.

I think you have put together an itinerary that will be talked about in your family for years. Good job!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,395 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

If the point is to relax and enjoy nature, adding another location would be counterproductive.

You've chosen two excellent locations, Enjoy.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

I agree with all the above, your two locations are wonderful and you will enjoy them very much! Don't add more stress by trying to add another location!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

This sounds like a fantastic trip.

If you have noot thought of it already I would reccomend rafting in to Pacuare Lodge rather than ground transportation. The rafting is a ball and the groung transport entails a rough ride in a FWD followed by a hike.

There is a chance I may see you there!

Mentioned in this post
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,551 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

Sounds like a great itinerary to me too. Don't second guess yourself. I think you'll have an exciting and rewarding trip with the plans you have already made.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

Good itinerary...maybe to much money at Pacaure Lodge...and to many nights there ...but if you are looking for a very secluded lodge it is a good place and a great choice.

Do not expect to be a overnight rafting trip...first day no more than 35 minutes in the boat and second no more than one hour and 45 minutes...even less depending on water level...basically is a transfer in a rubber boat!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

You have a great itinerary and Pacuare Lodge is a wonderful place. You will have a great experience there. Lapa Rios is also awesome. I think it is balnced enough no need to add another place

Mentioned in this post
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
8. Re: Good itinerary, or "needs improvement"??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 08:17