We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

need to know which is the best hotel to stay close to the san juan airport on our last night in costa rica (nov 26th) Maybe something that is close to the city to go out for dinner/drinks that night?

Please help!

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

Hi Christina,

Depends what you mean by 'best' I have several friends who always stay at the Mango Verde in Alajuela, which is nice, but budget. There are several big International chains around too.

The airport is quite far from the city of San Jose, but close to Alajuela (5 min by taxi), so that would be your best bet, including for dinner & drinks

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

OP, I am sure you mean San Jose, and as such I would recommend The Adventure Inn http://www.adventure-inn.com/ close to the airport, shuttle, an infinity pool, clean, and great rates. Eric and his staff will quickly make you feel like you are family. As to restaurants, if you are near the airport there are the usual plastic hotel chains with their military grade rations, or a taxi ride into the central core of San Jose will offer La Esquina de Buenos Aries http://laesquinadebuenosaires.com/ my absolute favorite with a great menu, full bar, and a chance to do some people watching as the restaurant is frequented by up and coming Costa Ricans. There are others in the core, but depends on your pleasure. Please understand you are in the older part of the city, a gritty part of town, but you will be safe if you stay with the taxis and are careful if you decide to walk anywhere.

Do enjoy your holiday.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

The airport is actually located near Alajuela around 25 minutes from San Jose itself, depending on the traffic. If you want to be in Alajuela there are plenty of options, and not all plastic, to suit your budget. Some also offer free shuttles to the airport.

footprintscostarica.com/index.php?reg=6

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

Lots of options in Alajuela and lots of culture also. It's a great place to just spend the night close to the airport or safely walk around and do some sightseeing.

Some other lodging options include Hostel Mango Verde, Hostel Trotamundos, Hotel Mi Tierra, Hotel Los Volcanes - a B&B in an old historic home - and my favorite - Alegria B&B. None of these are plastic but warm and welcoming and very Costa Rican.

Hotel Los Volcanes is centrally located in Alajuela and is a great place to walk around town for shopping, banking or a choice of restaurants.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

http://www.xandari.com/

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

I like the Orquideas Inn. Excellent restaurant and a fun bar to meet other travelers. Nice gardens, pool, hidden hot tub, and large breakfast bufett included in the price. But, nothing is really around here, it's the kind of place that you check into and head to the bar to make your own fun.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

Our regular place is the Orquideas Inn. The food is very good, the breakfast is free, the grounds are lovely, the prices very reasonable, and the bar funky (the theme is Marilyn Monroe memorabilia).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

How much are you willing to pay?

roadadvisor

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

at most 200 dollars. I was looking at some of the grand spa suites at the hotel presidente...thoughts?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best hotel to stay in close to the the san jose airport??

You asked in your original question about someplace to stay near the airport where you could go out for dinner and drinks. Hotel Los Volcanes fits all those requirements. Orquideas is beautiful but not really close to much. Xandari would be another choice.

Hotel Presidente is in San Jose, not near the airport.

So how important is it that the hotel is near the airport? How important is it that you can easily go somewhere other than the hotel for dinner? This is what you need to answer.