We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance

NY
Level Contributor
791 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance

I'm considering taking a trip to Costa Rica with a customized itinerary and have a few questions.

1 - If you have done this, what company did you use and how was the experience?

2 - Did you get any kind of trip cancellation, trip interruption, or health insurance and what company did you use?

Thnaks

Edited: 09 November 2011, 03:46
Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance

We purchased medical coverage via our insurance agent who placed us with International Medical Group. I didn't conduct much research, but knew I wanted some coverage in case of accidental injury from sports activities. I believe I purchased a half million policy with $500 deductible and added the sports rider, since that sort of injury was what I feared most. I can't recall the exact premium but I believe it was under $100 for my family of four for the nine day trip. I really placed my trust in our agent who provides our homeowners' policy. Needless to say, no one was injured and the policy was not needed.

We did not purchase trip cancellation insurance as there was only four weeks from date of plane ticket purchase to date of departure. I am probably not the correct one to offer advice on this subject as it has never occurred to me to purchase trip cancellation insurance.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,595 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance

Dear Travelus

That is a great question...very nice question!

In my case I recommend all the time about taking a family insurance that cover and specific if you can read it...RAFTING...HORSE BACK RIDES...etc...be sure that anything you plan to do in our country is there and of course more even better!

Depending the time of the year...good idea about , trip cancellation, winter time in USA many airlines cancel flights...and some times people arrive here two days later...or ...

If it is a customized itinerary ...great idea to have the best coverage for trip cancellation...and of course nothing to do with insurance...but in case of any claims...all the hotels confirmations numbers and tours if any...deal with companies in your home country that you can trust 100%...same here...ask for companies insurance and Govermment certifications ICT..

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance

I also use IMG insurance for long term coverage as I live in CR but they have a good choice of travel policies.

As far as travel company, I would recomend you try and build your own intinerary and ask for help on the forum, more freedom, fun and personal. You can get advice on areas, hotels, transport, etc on here.

Enjoy Costa Rica!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
4. Re: Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 06:15