We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice on activities

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for advice on activities

I am travelling to CR during Christmas to New Year with my husband and 3 year old son. We are spending 1 day in SJO (noon arrival), 2 days in Monteverde, 2 days in Arenal, and 3 days in MA.

Should I book my activities in advance or wait to book until i reach there? I am considering hanging bridges & tram in Monteverde, Tabacon hot springs in Arenal, Damas tour in MA, and guided walks in parks in each of the places.

Are there any recommendations on additional activities that I should be looking at?

What is the best way to book guided walks - through places I am staying at or individual guides recommended on TA?

Thanks for your advice.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
343 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice on activities

The time you are visiting Costa Rica is peak season, so I would consider booking in advance. For your 3 year old to also enjoy the tours, I would try to find either private guides for the hikes, or tour operators that go with small groups only. For a private guide for Arenal you can for example have a look at the webpage from Erick Guzman at www.tarabatours.com Excelent service, knowledge and equipment at a very reasonable price. For Manuel Antonio you can contact Juan Brenes at http://juanbrenes.blogspot.com or Maurilio Cordero (AVENATURA@RACSA.CO.CR). All of those guys get great reviews here on TA.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice on activities

Dear FindNature

During PEAK season maybe better to book your tours ...try not to prepay anything...and ask if you can pay once you are here.

Try to deal with ICT certified Tour Operators...no ICT you can easily run into problems...loosing your money!

You can try La Fortuna Watrefall hike...nice and great once you are by the waterfalls...not a long hike at all...also El Silencio...

In Manuel Antonio the Sunset Cruise...nice ...Maurilio Cordero great guide... great person of course the same goes for Juan Brenes..

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice on activities

This is the only time of the year when I suggest to guests that they pre-book the tours that they would be disappointed if they didn't do! We use Desafio which is a great company to work with and they have fantastic guides. You can book all of your things online and even transportation if you need it. Tabacon was PACKED last December so book that ASAP plus there were dates they were closed for "private holiday parties" so make sure to do that today! I do like to use individual guides where possible but since there's usually only 1 of them, they're hard to get! Check out Desafio: http://www.desafiocostarica.com, we're never disappointed with them!

The only thing I can think of to add is the Rio Fortuna Waterfall which you can do by yourself. :-) Have fun!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for advice on activities

Thanks for wonderful advice. Several follow up questions:

Monteverde: there are several hanging bridges / zip lining companies. Which one is the best? I definitely want one that also offers tram for my son.

Any suggestions for guide at Monteverde?

Arenal: I am staying @ AOL which offers a guided walk in the morning. Would you still recommend guided hike to the volcano or is that something that we can do on our own?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,795 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for advice on activities

Any suggestions for guide at Monteverde?

Andres Alvarado http://andresalvaradogarcia.blogspot.com/

Arenal: I am staying @ AOL which offers a guided walk in the morning. Would you still recommend guided hike to the volcano or is that something that we can do on our own?

There are several paths well signed in the volcano park so you can hike on your own.

6. Re: Looking for advice on activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 10:22