We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bug repellent recommendations

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
196 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Bug repellent recommendations

My wife and I will be going to Costa Rica next week for the first time and we're very excited. My wife is highly susceptible to mosquito bites and typically gets eaten alive when we go to the tropics. Does anyone have any mosquito repellent recommendations to help her out when we're down in Costa Rica?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

Dear roadwarrior10

Mosquitos love me way to much...I have in my car OFF and works perfect for me...let me tell you in a group of 10.000 people and one mosquito ...he will find me...with OFF...maybe he will be looking for somebody else!

roadadvisor

Long Beach CA
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

Deet to prevent. and if she does get bitten, theres this Thai tiger balm thing that I found in thailand that is AMAZING!!! I dont know what its called cause its in Thai, but I travel with it everywhere!! Its the balm with the guy on it. Theres one with a lady too. ( different brand i guess) I usually get these giant welts when I get bites, but this helps!! Heres a picture. www.wangpromherb.co.th/howtopurchase.asp…

Anyways, the more deet something has, the more powerful it is(and dangerous). REI sells 100% deet. Lately though Ive been sticking to the scented "off" product. It seems to have gotten better over the years. Also Avons Skin so soft body oil is a more natural way to keep them off, and it works so well that Avon now make a bug repellent from it.

Maybe a little more info than you asked for, but like your GF, mosquitos love my blood and my body has a bad reaction to bites. Good Luck...

Edited: 17 November 2011, 06:30
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

You don't need to use DEET. There are a number of good products and OFF works just fine, as roadadvisor said.

You could try using a citronella-based repellent which is non-toxic. Actually, made from a plant that grows in Costa Rica.

Another thing I would recommend is to bring very lightweight long sleeve shirt and long pants for hiking the rainforest.

For nighttime, stop at a grocery store and buy a little thingie that plugs in and has a small cardboard insert that is impregnated with repellent. Plug this in your room and this will keep them out. (I really need to find out the name of that thing!)

You can also buy mosquito coils to burn which would come in handy if you are wanting to sit outside at your lodging.

Another remedy is for her to eat a lot of garlic -- but maybe you wouldn't like that so much.

Edited: 17 November 2011, 12:04
Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

OP, there is.was a natural repellent made here in Costa Rica that had some success, and I remembered seeing it demonstrated. I copied off the contact info, and if you can reach them, you could have it available when you arrive.

Camino a Ocotal, Playa del Coco, Costa Rica

Hours

Mon - Fri: 08:30 - 17:00

About

Green Screen is a natural insect repellent made from a combination of plant extracts for multi-layered protection against a variety of biting insects. It's effective, hypo-allergenic and non-toxic for you and the environment.

Phone

As to the Plug Ins for the room at night, the stuff might work, but I personally don't like to breath the stuff while sleeping. Try the Avon stuff too if you can bring it with you. The smell of it tended to bother me after awhile, but better that than bitten.

Have a great holiday.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

I am particularly sensitive to smells but didn't have a problem with the plug-in thing. I just put it on the other side of the room and I couldn't smell it and it worked fine.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
196 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

Thanks everyone!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

I am not an "organic" guy. I use what works in the manner recommended. First, bugs tend not to be the major problem in CR that they are in many places. But if you want to be sure you are protected because of particular sensitivity to bites, I recommend:

DEET: 30% concentration pump spray or wipes. Higher concentrations DO NOT work better--they just last longer. I prefer to reapply if needed. Application: DEET goes sparingly on the skin: ankles, wrists, neck, exposed skin. Ok to spray on head but not places that may sweat and run into your eyes. DEET with deteriorate and stain synthetic fabrics. That means all the fancy outdoor clothing that "breaths" and wicks will be ruined if DEET is sprayed on them.

PERMANONE (as found in "Repel" sprays, for example) is an aerosol spray for clothing. You treat the clothes before you leave. The repellant will last through several washings or more. The ingredients are safe for synthetic fibers. Just follow directions on the cans.

I used the combination of these products during missions to malaria prone areas in Africa, Alaska in the summer, and deer tick infested areas of Long Island, NY. It is the most effective combination out there so far as I know. There are alternatives, but none is as effective or long lasting.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

OFF products work for me, the family style for general out and about use, Deep Woods for the rainforest. A smaller purse-size "stix" for your wife's pack is always a good idea. Mosquitos are very active at sunrise and sunset so be especially vigilant during that period of time. And since your wife is especially prone to bites, be proactive (vs. reactive) Don't wait for the first bite and then decide to use the repellent. Most importantly have a great trip! Lisa

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

throughout the day i use avon skin so soft with off on my ankles for the no see ums. if i'm out at night, then it's off on all exposed skin. off lotion, by the way. in bed it's back to avon with a raid liquid plug in.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bug repellent recommendations

I use Off Green it has 25% Deet and easly available in Costa Rica. Also use Raid Plug in Liquid for the night.