We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Class III river in April?

Takoma Park...
Level Contributor
165 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Best Class III river in April?

What would be the best Class III in April? I realize it's the end of the dry season, so I'm sure many rivers are not good at that time.

We'd be taking a family of 4, youngest 9, all are good swimmers and have rafting experience, but any extended class IV would be too much.

Thanks

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Class III river in April?

desafio in arenal use a dam controlled river so it's pretty much same same year round. i did their 3-4 in late february and it was great.

Takoma Park...
Level Contributor
165 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Class III river in April?

For the Rio Toro or Rio Balsa?

We'd prefer the Rio Toro but I need to know if it's mostly a III with a few IV or mostly a IV with a little III?

I've emailed some companies. I'll post the responses if no one knows from experiences.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Class III river in April?

Toro is their regular river but when things are a little dry they use the dam controlled balsa which is 45 minutes or so further away. I've only done it once so I can't say what is 3 or 4. Although balsa is controlled the rapids will still vary with the current conditions.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Class III river in April?

La Balsa River would be what you are looking for check wirh Desafio Adventures or with Canoa Aventura in Arenal

Mentioned in this post
Canoa Aventura
Canoa Aventura
477 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Class III river in April?

The previous poster makes it sound as if you have a choice between the two when you don't. If the water level in rio toro is adequate then that's the river you'll run. If it's too low then you'll run the balsa. The schedule on the balsa is determined by ICE the cr power company as they control the hydro electric dam.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Class III river in April?

I mentioned 2 companies that run the La Balsa River. El Toro is not a river they can take, as no responsible tour operator would allow their children to go on El Toro river for safety reasons. La Balsa River pick ups beging by 10:10am always, tour includes lunch and it would be the river to take their children

Edited: 25 November 2011, 18:41
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Class III river in April?

Both are sold as 3-4 rapids!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Class III river in April?

I just called Desafio and El Toro River is sold as a class III & IV while La Balsa River is sold as a class II & III. The minimum age for El Toro is 13 years old so they can not take El Toro

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Class III river in April?

Creekmore I have actually done the balsa. If you pm me an email address I will send you a few photos of the rapids and you can decide if your family is up to it.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Class III river in April?

My vote goes for the Balsa, as sonny pointed out it is a dam released run and a decent fit for the fam.

Cheers