We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

Region of Waterloo...
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

We're off next Sunday!!

I have a couple of last minute questions:

TD Visa with chip. I saw some info from older posts but wanted a more up-to-date opinion. Will I have problems using my TD Visa in ATMs? I read that chip technology causes problems.

Toiletries. Do hotels provide soap and shampoo? We are taking carry-on luggage only so can only take a limited amount of liquids. I'm wondering which ones I should ditch.

Voltage. Is the voltage the same as Canada or do I need to take an adapter for my phone and camera charger?

Rain/bugs. Is it still raining a lot? How bad are the mosquitoes?

Single parent with child. I usually take my custody papers and a copy of our birth certificates. Is this all I need?

Short connection in Atlanta. Anyone familiar with this airport and can give me tips on how to not miss my connection?!?!

Wow - sorry for the long list. Thanks for any help you can give. :)

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

There are many banks here in CR...if it doesn't work in one it will probably work in another. I haven't heard of anybody having issues and we've had many Canadians stay with us.

Voltage here is the same as the US: 110v with a "flat blade plug"

Rain: Yes (daily = normal in a rain forest) in the inland areas but still hot at the beaches, Bugs: depends on where you're going...but they're around....more mosquitos at the beach than where we are in the mountains/central highlands (La Fortuna).

Atlanta Airport has a SkyTrain (same as Dallas, Miami, etc) that connects the different areas of the airport...this will help you get around quickly even if your next flight is in the next concourse.

As for documents...I'll have to wait for a Canadian to weigh in on that....I know US residents must have a passport, even for a small child. If the child has a different last name then I'd definitely take the papers (or at least scan them and e-mail them to yourself so you can access them if you need them).

Hope this helps! :-)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

I've never heard about or am not aware of problems using an ATM card with a chip in CR. The usual advice applies: advise your bank of your travel plans so ATM & cr cards will work; ask your bank which ATM network you can use abroad (logos listed on back of card). They may have a list of member banks in CR.

Unless you have allergies I would plan on picking up more toiletries in CR at the chain grocery store or neighborhood market. They have some Nth American brands, but not all and imported items are more expensive.

Electric plugs are the same as Nth America. Don't forget your charger or USB cables as replacements will be expensive.

Rain & mosquitoes depend on where you are. It's almost the end of the 'green' season (rainy season), so rain definitely at the beach. Mosquitoes are worst at dawn/dusk before it heats up.

Please see the airport web site for a terminal map & info on the 'people mover.'

www.atlanta-airport.com/Passenger/Terminal/ www.atlanta-airport.com/Airport/APM/

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
978 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

Atlanta is a huge hellish airport, but lots of people make connections. There's a connections & customer service counter in every terminal.

Using the map above and the airline website, you can figure out where the flight usually arrives and where the next one takes off from. Do this in advance.

See you there! I'm arriving next Sunday too. Can't wait.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

Most places have shampoo and soap for you, so I would ditch them. Easy to pick up if your hotel doesn't offer them.

ATL- jsut a few things to add. This is a big airport and my main airport. Considering the size it is not nearly as bad as most airports 1/2 its size. I think people just get confused when they are new to it. There is not a Skytrain IN the actual airport and terminals. They have added a Sky Train outside the airport, but you won't see or need to think about this. What you will most likely use is the train inside the airport that runs from terminal to terminal underground. The train runs in a straight line, under all the terminals. Baggage-T Gates- A gates-B gates-C gates-D gates-E gates. If you land in terminal B and need to transfer to terminal E (international terminal) then you will follow the signs to baggage/other terminals. This will take you to a down escolator that brings you to the trains. You have 2 choices. Lets say you are at B Terminal. You can either got towards Baggage, which stops at A Gates, T Gates and then Baggage OR you can take the train going in the other direction stopping at C gates, D gates and E gates. Make sense? It is all in a straight line and you just need to decide your direction. It doesn't go in a loop. Everything is well marked. Worse case you go in the wrong direction and get off at the next stop and just cross over to the other train. Once at the right stop there are up escalator that brings you right to the terminal. At the terminal you will go left or right depending on you gate. The train brings you to the middle of each terminal.

The hellish part of ATL is when you arrive internationally. Once you go thru immigration and customs you have to recheck everything and go through security again, even if your final destination is Atlanta. Since Atlanta is my home base I hate this, but since immigration spits you out at the E terminal (end of the train and airport) you have to travel through the whole airport just to get out. So TSA rules apply.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,275 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

l have a Canadian ATM card with a chip and use it with no issues in various ATMs in CR. Years ago before Chips there were some banks that did not seen to like Canadian cards. But now I seem to find that is less,of an issue. The banks like BNCR that didn't used to work do.

As for your question about documentation for children travelling with one parent, I would urge you to check with a CR consulate in Canada and if possible get it in writing.

Pura vida

Raquel

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

Dear uniqua

Nice set of questions...and you already have all the answers...just common sense while travelling around our country...if you do not trust our water for any reason...just buy bottles of water...and maybe once here get some OFF...but we do have a lot of drug stores around...if you need any medication that need a prescription...bring a copy of your prescription...just in case!

Please enjoy our country as much as we do!

roadadvisor

Region of Waterloo...
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

Thank you all for your kind help and suggestions!! Good to know I don't have to stress about banks or toiletries.

However I may remain a little nervous about Atlanta Airport!!

Cheers!

8. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 July 2012, 13:35
Edited: 01 July 2012, 13:35
9. Re: A few last minute Qs for my Costa Rica Trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:45