We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

health advise

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
health advise

Travelling around Christmas with family (including 5 year old daughter); got really scared by a friend about tropical diseases in CR. CDC website does not seem very helpfull, it's all may or may not with them.

What do you guys think? Which areas to avoid? Is vaccination mandatory? Profilaxy medication, thousand bottles of insect repellent, don't go out for sunset?

Please excuse my ignorance as I never travelled in a country so close o the Ecuator.

costa rica
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: health advise

wow not sure what you've been reading.... and sure bring some bug repellent with you and that will also depend on the part of Costa Rica that you plan to visit. There is no need to worry about Vaccines and it is not mandatory by any means, and please go ahead and enjoy the sunset.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: health advise

CR is not a country to be especially concerned about in terms of exotic disease. You and your children should have all regular vaccinations. Malaria is not a problem and no need for any prophylactic medications. More for comfort than anything else, use bug repellent with a 30% concentration of DEET (effectiveness plateaus at 30% so nothing stronger is needed--100% may last longer but it isn't more effective). Use it sparingly only on exposed skin. Keep DEET off of clothing.

Bring along some anti-diarhea medicine like Imodium just in case. Otherwise, if you are sticking to areas frequented by tourists you will have pharmacies and doctors available should an emergency arise.

RELAX! This isn't some far-flung isolated place on earth crawling with strange disease. Worry more about what you will all be doing for fun there!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: health advise

If you read what CDC has to say about your own home area you will feell the same way as you do about what CDC has to say about CR. Mosquitoe repellant, avoiding mosquitoes and hand sanitizer are what we use for precaustions against getting sick. There have been extensive ideas on ways to repell mosquitoes on this forum. You can search the links if you like. The only time we have had anyone get sick was when they went swiming in a pool after a major rain and the pool has overflowed and there was lots of run off. That is just common sense and is not a unique problem to CR or a country close to the equator. I do stay in during sunset unliess I am able to watch the sunset from inside a pool or indoors. The mosquitoes love me.

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: health advise

Thank you guys! First for the fast replies and second for your explanations.

Guess I've never been too much concerned about this before, it is just that myself and kiddo are real mosquito magnets, and still didn't find an efficient way to protect from them. About the sunset, I've read that the mosquito responsible for malaria and dengue fever is a day mosquito especially active just after sunrise and before sunset.

Anyways, thanks again, and to summarize: repellent with 30%-50% DEET, hand sanitizer, up to speed with regular vaccination and bottled water. Any words on clothing insect repellent and areas to avoid in the country? We were planning to rent a car and drive around most areas.

One more thing: I definitely understand CR is not a God forsaken country and by no means I tried to be disrespectful to the CR citizens. It is just that as European, living in US, I am pretty sure I do not have immunity to any of these diseases and not accustomed to the hygienic procedures needed.

Again, thanks for your input!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: health advise

The only vaccine you might consider is hepatitis, this is a good one to have no matter where you are in the world, it knows no borders.

Aside from that the only other concern here is Dengue fever, but there is no vaccine for that anyway, just big repellent as its carried by mosquitoes.

Have a blast, 15 years here I have never had any issues.

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: health advise

Efharisto poli, Incabod! Couldn't help but notice your location... lived in Cyprus for 7 years myself and really enjoyed it.

BTW, which areas of CR are "must see" for family tourist and what should better be avoided?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: health advise

Dear radupopa

I´m a magnet for mosquitos so one of my kids she is 8 years old...with some OFF we do great ...any where aroound the country...they love around the beach...from 5PM until almost 7PM...is like they have a watch!

But with OFF not a problem...sorry for the commercial...

JUst avoid swampy areas...that is what I do!

Please enjoy our country as much as we do!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: health advise

rapupopa - That's Grecia (Greece) Costa Rica, right next to Atenas (Athens) Costa Rica. We share some of the same names but I have never ventured to Greece proper yet, it's on my list though.

As far as "must see" for a first trip I would keep it simple. Arenal volcano and a beach like Manuel Antonio. Gives you a good mix of the country, very user friendly areas, and if you have never been then a goods trip for the fam

Cheers mate

Edited: 05 December 2011, 17:47
Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: health advise

thanks again guys! and sorry for the 20 (silly) questions.... it's just like you said, I want to enjoy my vacation instead of going into frenzy killing mosquitoes :)

I hope I'll be able to find accommodation and car rental with the busy season and going to tourist areas only.... anyways, from what you guys saying I guess I'll probably have another trip pretty soon!

Sorry, Incabod for the confusion! What can I say... next to Dallas, TX, USA we have paris, Athens, Odessa, Italy and much more :) Anyways, I'll try to find something around Arenal and Manuel Antonio parks - hopefully not everything is booked out.

10. Re: health advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2012, 10:17