We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

Does anyone know the actual driving time? I am thinking of spending our last night in Costa Rica near Manual Antonio, but want to make sure we can get back to the airport the next day by 12pm. Thanks.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

On a good day, 3 1/2 hours so plan on 4 with time to spare, and stop for a quick cup of coffee. It gets light at 5:30 a.m. so if you're on the road by 6 a.m., you'll have enough time. If you are an aggressive driver and no stops, 3 hours. If you have a private driver, definitely 3 hours with no stops as they're familiar with the roads Driving it yourself? Remember to add in time to return the car rental. Lisa in Manuel Antonio

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

give it five hours, just for peace of mind. you don't want to rush back, and flats can happen any time.......

Boston
Level Contributor
207 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

We just drove that and it took us 4 hours and 15 minutes without any stops. Definitely a pretty drive, but a long one due to poor road conditions!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

Any idea what a private driver will cost for this trip distance?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

You can go the private driver route but no way will it take you as long as some of these poster are saying. Keep in mind that you are only going as far as the airport in Alajuela and not all the way to where the traffic really gets bad between there and downtown. The interbus tourist shuttle schedule, which includes pickup and drop-off times at the different hotels of all its passengers, calls for between 3.5 and 3.75 hours between Quepos and San Jose. Add some extra time if you want for unforeseen delays, but keep in mind that Alajuela is 20-30 minutes before San Jose. Unfortunately Interbus is definitely out since the first one doesn't leave Quepos until 9AM. Grayline might work as it leaves at 8AM, putting you into SJ shortly before noon and by the airport about a half hour before that IF everything goes without a hitch. Greyline will cost $27 per person. The direct public bus from Quepos to the Coca Cola Terminal in downtown SJ takes 3.5 hours, leaves at 6AM, costs less than $5 per person and I'm sure you can be let off by the airport and take a short cab ride from the bus stop if necessary. that would put you at the airport before 10AM even if you run into a few delays. If you want to sleep a little later and don't mind spending the extra money (I'd guess about $100 for your group), then go with the private driver.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

Proligo,

There are 6 of us, so thought it might be about the same price to get a private driver. You mention $100. I have seen others mention $125 or so. I just got a quote for $185 and I was told that gas has gone up considerably.....does that seem about right to you???

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

Its 174km or just over 100 miles from SJ to Quepos. Even assuming he can't get a return fare and charges you for gas both ways there is no way its gone up $60. If he gets just 15mpg that would mean the price of gas would have had to more than double from the $4/gal it was at the beginning of the year. I think whoever quoted you that much was playing you for a dumb gringo. OTOH, if you can find someone to do it for $125, you'll come out way ahead over taking the group shuttle van given there are so many of you.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

Try booking your transport through your hotel. We have the same trip scheduled (MA to airport) for $130.

Colleen

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Distance from Manual Antonio to SJ airport?

I have rented a private villa, so no hotel. I am trying to arrange my transportation myself.

Prolijo.....I have already booked this same driver to transport us from Liberia to Manuel Antonio and the charge is $185. I didn't think that this trip cost was unrealistic though. Would you agree?