We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions regarding tipping

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions regarding tipping

I've been reading the different forums regarding tipping etiquette, and have a few questions I wanted clarified:

It is standard to tip an Interbus driver if we are taking a shared shuttle?

What would we tip for a guided tour such as Canyoning in La Fortuna? Is it a percent of the cost of the tour?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions regarding tipping

If you are sharing the interbus ride with other passangers and the driver is very attentive, safe at driving you can tip betwen $10 to $20. For the tour guides over the canyoning you can tip $20 which most companys will split the tip with all guides and drivers. NATUREGUIDE

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions regarding tipping

I agree with NatureGuide that when you're taking Interbus (which is a shared ride) that you may want to tip if they are very attentive, if they help you with all of your bags, etc....not sure on the amount ($20 seems too high unless you have a ton of heavy bags). Living in Costa Rica my rule of thumb is whatever I think of giving, I always give more since so many people here make such little money! As for Canyoning, etc, I think you'll be HAPPY to tip your guide $20 because they do such an amazing job of making your experience wonderful...and yes they do split it so when in doubt, go up because it will be shared! :-)

Have a GREAT time! :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions regarding tipping

Dear Kim and Deb..

In a shuttle service...the most will be $ 10.00 ...per couple.

For adventure tours...$ 20.00 per couple..

Drivers do not make little money...but they have a big responsability driving you around..

roadadvisor

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions regarding tipping

Thank you everyone for your responses. We are super excited for our trip later this month :)

NYC
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions regarding tipping

For tours like waterfall rapelling, hanging bridges, Manuel Antonio preserve, hikes through Osa with guide at hotels, we always tipped. In the context of the cost of the trip, the difference between an adequate tip and very generous tip was nominal to us. We tipped between $10/person for a short easy hike with a naturalist, to $20-25/person for longer activities. We also left housekeepers money in hotel rooms. I don't recall at restaurants and taxis anymore. But as a rule, if tipping is done wherever we travel, we try to be generous.

6. Re: A few questions regarding tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2012, 10:19