We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

I'm planning on surprising my wife with a trip this January for only 6 nights.

I thought we would fly into SJO and rent a car to drive and spend 3 nights at Arenal Nayara, relaxing enjoying the view, wildlife - then drive (or fly?) to TikiVillas for 3 nights so that we could do some surfing and scuba.

This seems like a lot of driving. Does this itinerary make sense? Any suggestions to change or improve this? Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

Dear Pharoonn...

It does make sense...maybe 2 nights Arenal...and the rest of the time at Tikivillas...lovely place by the way...

SJO to Arenal 3 hours...

Arenal to Tikivillas...about 5 hours...great road all the way...

Tikivillas to SJO...4 hours...even less...

But also you can fly from San Jose to Quepos...and a have a car waiting for you at Quepos Air strip...and drive to Tikivillas only 45 minutes from there!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

IMO I think it is fine, it is a lot of driving but that is the nature of traveling anywhere here in CR.

I say go for it, sounds like a fun trip, and your wife will dig it.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions for stops / highlights / places to eat for the drive from Arenal to TikaVillas? We might as well make a day of it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
459 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

I would fly from San Jose to Arenal and from QUepos to San Jose. Then get a private transport or shuttle from Arenal to Tiki .

This way you get to see the views and you don't waste 2 days driving around.

The flight to/from Arenal is nice because you get a bird's eye view of the volcano and lake.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

The flight idea is great (and reasonable). Thanks! We're just confirming availability for the hotels.

Would it make a difference if we did this in reverse and went to TikiVillas first, than Arenal Nayara second?

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

Going in reverse should make no difference driving or otherwise, so you can go fist to either Arenal or Uvita. The driving times pointed out by Roadadvisor are spot on as always and work either way.

The Uvita area is very spread out and taxis can add up so would definitivly recomend having a car in Uvita area. You will need 4x4 for TikiVillas as well as some waterfalls and beaches. A compact 4x4 will work fine.

If you decide to fly to Quepos you can rent a car and drive down (45 min). Budget (www.budget.co.cr) is located at Quepos Airport others can meet you there. Some companies to consider: Alamo (www.alamocostarica.com), Avis (www.avis.com), ), National (www.natcar.com), Mapache Rent a Car (www.mapache.com) or Toyota rent a car (www.toyotarent.com).

If you fly, keep in mind SANSA is located at SJO Airport and Nature Air requires a transfer to Pavas airport in downtown San Jose about 20/30 min from SJO airport.

Edited: 12 December 2011, 01:50
San Antonio, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

Pharaonn,

I saw your itinerary and is the same that me and my husband we would like to do for our honeymoon. SJO to Arenal and then Tikivillas..we are living in March.. the question: How was your trip? We would love some suggestions. Did you finally fly or rent a car? What did you do when you where down in Tikivillas.. we are divers as well and would like to dive 2 days. Thank you!!!!

8. Re: Itinerary help please. SJO to Aernal Nayara to TikiVillas...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 10:18