We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas and Entry Requirements

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Visas and Entry Requirements

Hi,

I have emailed the Costa Rican Embassy in NSW to find out about entry requirements. I will be visiting the area in Feb next year.

It has been a week since I emailed them, I haven't heard anything back just yet.

Can anyone direct me to any other sources of info on this matter?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

:-)

Sarah G

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

What is your question? Might be easy to answer..

What passport do you hold? If its Australian you can enter for 90 days as long as your passport is valid for 3 months or more.

See this official document in Spanish: migracion.go.cr/extranjeros/…202011.pdf

If you are a holder of a passport that is listed in the document under "Primer Grupo" up to 90 days or "Secundo Grupo" up to 30 days you do not need a visa.

Or if you have a valid visa to United States, Canada, South Korea, Japan, European Union country or Shengen Visa that is valid for more than 3 months from date of entry you can stay up to 90 days visa free in Costa Rica.

If you have any doubts best give the Costa Rica consulate a call rather than email.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

Cheers for the reply :-)

I have an Aussie passport. I was more concerned about the requirement of having an exit ticket as a condition of entry. I have been reading that this is being enforced all the time now.

I wanted to confirm if there are any other requirements other than having the exit ticket.

I will be backpacking my way up to Mexico/US so having the exit ticket will be tricky. I was going to look at Tica Bus tickets and purchase one before I leave, so if I don't end up using it at least it won't cost me an arm and a leg. Any other suggestions on this point would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

You should plan to have what is known as an "onward ticket." That is, some kind of ticket out of the country.

This law is being enforced more these days. When you check in to your airline for your flight, if they see that you don't have a round trip ticket, they are supposed to ask you about it. Sometimes they do ---- sometimes they don't. However, it is getting more and more common to be asked at Passport Control (Migracion) once you arrive in Costa Rica.

It is possible that a return ticket from the US would be enough - but maybe not. Your choices are: buy a fully refundable one-way ticket from Costa Rica to Australia. Big outlay of money but at least you get it back. Otherwise, there are services that will buy a bus ticket out of the country for you and mail it to you. A bit pricey, but kind of worth it and, of course, a lot less than an airline ticket. I don't know of any international bus company where you can buy bus tickets online.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

Thanks Hattie.

My return ticket from the US isn't unti Sept...a little long I would think to appease customs... I will look into both options and see what works out for me.

Thanks again!! :-)

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

You need a exit ticket from Costa Rica within 90 days from arrival. Some people have recomended the company "A safe Passage" on the forum but I have no direct experience: costaricabustickets.com/Onward_Tickets.htm to buy a ticket and have it delivered to you before you travel.

Many airlines will deny you bording on the CR flight unless you have a ticket out of the country also imigration is cracking down due to a lot of expats abusing their tourist visas wille in reality living in CR.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

You can also try to have a valid MCO...some airlines will sell you one...and then use it to buy your exit ticket...

roadadvisor

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

Excellent - thanks for the tip Thomas - I will check out the link you posted :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

Thx Roadadvisor - but can you please confirm what an MCO is? :-p

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

Just wanted to add that the law states that you have to have a ticket on the same way you entered. ie if you fly in you have to fly out, etc. Also some airlines will require you to have a return ticket to your country of origin but that is arguable.

Arriving by Air and having a bus ticket out of CR has been accepted by immigration, but not always and they could deny you entry. They are getting stricter recently so what has worked in the past might not work in the future. What was suggested is a fully refundable ticket by air out of CR within 90 days and then get a refund.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visas and Entry Requirements

Ok, thanks heaps Thomas - I was wondering what the law stated as I have heard different things from different ppl - looks like the air ticket will be the safest bet!

Thx again all for your help :-)