We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning 4 days once arriving.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning 4 days once arriving.

We are flying in to SJO and have 4 days to explore before we head to Quepos for a week.

I am looking for advice on what to do/go/see before we check in to our rental.

We will have a car and would love to check out some ruins, and other jungle excursions.

Any help is appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning 4 days once arriving.

Ruins are few and far between in Costa Rica. If you'd like to check out adventure and nature activities head to Arenal for ziplines, whitewater rafting, canyoning, hanging bridges, waterfall and volcano hikes, and hot springs.

If you'd rather check out "jungle excursions" you might want to take a package trip to Tortuguero for a couple of nights. No raods and all travel is by boat down the canals to view wildlife. Then take a daytrip out of San Jose/Central Valley for whitewater rafting on the Pacuaure before picking up your car and heading for Manuel Antonio.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning 4 days once arriving.

Thanks, i found Costa Rica not really having ruins to be true as well after some reading.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them!

Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning 4 days once arriving.

If you'd like to see a volcano in the area, Volcan Poas is nice and close and can be done in a few hours. There are also tours to coffee plantations in the area, most notably Cafe Britt.

I also love Tortuguero, definitely a place to see! Go for a package deal as suggested, Laguna Lodge has some great ones.

If you have kids, you might also want to consider visiting La Paz Waterfall Gardens.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning 4 days once arriving.

I would suggest checking out the archaeological site of Guayabo, east of San Jose. Not a huge site but certainly of great interest.

You mention you will have a car, so maybe save Tortuguero for another time and head to Arenal as previously suggested. Have a great trip!

5. Re: Need help planning 4 days once arriving.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 10:21