We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

Thanks to the great advice of people on this forum, I've tweaked my travel plans to include a trip to Tortuguero. I now need more advice tho!

Does anyone know if it's possible to get from Tortuguero to Cahuita (or other similar Caribbean coastal town) in one day? Or does it require an overnight stay in San Jose?

I thought perhaps you could do Tortuguero-SanJ(boat and bus) SanJ-Cahuita(bus) in one day, but don't know if that's too ambitious.

Alternatively, could you do Tortuguero-Moin(boat) then Moin-Cahuita(bus)?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

No need to backtrack to San Jose. A water canal is connecting Tortuguero and Moin, a small port town next to Limon. There are regular water buses or one can use Riverboat Francesca (a great guide included in the transport). From Moin one can use a shuttle transport (organised in advance in Tortuguero) or take a taxi to Limon and a regular bus to Cahuita. Easy.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

I dont know if youre traveling indepwndently or through a lodge. On seconf case Go baca to La pavón and on to guapiles. You can hire Interbus shuttle service from guapiles to The south caribbean.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

Of course, it is possible to go from Tortuguero to Pavona and then on to Guapiles and to the Caribbean. However, the 3-hour boat trip from Tortuguero to Moin just might be the highlight of the trip. You motor through exquisite wilderness and typically, the boat driver will slow down to point out various wildlife. It's not something you would want to miss!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

Best to go back to Moin, great trip by the way, taxi to bus terminal to the Caribe Sur, and then bus to Cahuita.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

Hi, I too am traveling from Tortuguero to Moin and onto Cahuita later this month. I am organizing a trip for 8 and would like to prebook a shuttle from Moin. Can you recommend an operator?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

As said above, check with Riverboat Francesca, and she will be able to arrange the shuttle for you from Moin to Cahuita.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

The best way is as everybody is recomending...Tortuguero to Moin...and a bus from there to Puerto Viejo...or just take a taxi in Moin...

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

Everyone seems to have this covered but if you are looking for the cheapest option, after reaching Moin simply get a taxi to the bus terminal (MEPE) for Cahuita. Local buses leave every hour on the hour and cost about $2 per person for a ticket.

The boat trip between Tortuguero and Moin is wonderful - keep your camera handy for shots of big crocs!

Hope you have great trips remf3 and pokeygirl!

9. Re: Tortuguero straight to Cahuita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 10:17