We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tica bus station san jose

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
tica bus station san jose

When I get off bus from Nicaragua I will have only us$ is there a safe place at night to get or exchange money?

Also if I decide to take taxi instead of bus to ciudad colon about twenty miles. Amy idea how much?

I am sure it is safe but since we are arriving at dark and are unfamiliar with area just being cautious

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tica bus station san jose

You can always exchange some dollars for colones at the Nicaragua/Costa Rica border. Dollars are accepted most everywhere - taxis included. However, not accepted on the public bus.

Taxi rates: 530 colones the first kilometer, 465 each kilometer after that. This is the official metered rate - you may be able to negotiate a flat fee with a taxi.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tica bus station san jose

See that is why this forum is so great i would have never known I could or would have time at the border

Thank you

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tica bus station san jose

Oh, yes you will have time at the border! You will have to have your passport stamped at two different offices, waiting in line for each. You don't just drive right through. There will be money changers on either side of the border who will change your dollars for colones.

Getting through the border will usually take an hour - although I have done it in as little as 30 minutes and as long as 3 hours.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tica bus station san jose

Thanks again

Are there places to buy water or lunch at border?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,814 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tica bus station san jose

YES!!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tica bus station san jose

Definitely yes - on both sides of the border. There are little shops as well as people walking around selling food and drinks out of coolers.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tica bus station san jose

Wonderful

8. Re: tica bus station san jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 10:20