We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

up date requested for "Itinerary for Seniors"

Abbotsford
Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
up date requested for "Itinerary for Seniors"

We have taken most advice from previous posts. We are having 3 nights in San Jose, one day at La Paz Waterfall Gardens. We may only be able to do part but decided to give it a go. Two nights Tortuguero, 3 nights Arenal (Cano Negro tour included) Monteverde 2 nights, Guided tour of Cloud Forest Reserve. Manuel Antonio 4 nights; Damas Estuary Boat Trip and guided Nation Pk Tour. Anywhere Costa Rica has booked hotels, tours and shuttles. We fly back to airport fgrom A.M. Because of weight restrictions we want to travel light. We know about sunscreen bug spray, etc. but wonder what kind of clothes we need. Are modest shorts acceptable ? Will we need warm clothes (plan to have a very light jacket). Special shoes or runners O.K. Looking forward to our trip immensely and weould appreciate any advice or tips for us oldies. Many thanks to all you experts !

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: up date requested for "Itinerary for Seniors"

Suggested what to bring

•Binoculars.

•Extra prescription pair of glasses and medication (if needed)

•Sunglasses.

•Sun block and insect repellent.

•Lightweight, fast drying clothes are best, as are clothes you can layer. Bring warm weather gear for the day activities and a mid-weight fleece or sweater for the evening. No suits or ties are needed

•Short and long-sleeved Shirts: cotton preferably.

•Trousers: Hiking shorts and pants.

•Footwear: waterproof hiking boots, river sandals, tennis shoes/running shoes.

•Hat with visor for rain and sun protection.

•Camera. Also, extra batteries/battery charger

•Zip lock plastic bags for spillable toiletries, and plastic garbage bags for wet items.

Pittsburg, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: up date requested for "Itinerary for Seniors"

Monteverde you will definitely want a light jacket. Even during the dry season there can be a persistant sort of mist from the ever present clouds. Do the night hike there too. I have done it twice. Same trails, saw different wildlife both times. I also really enjoyed the butterfly garden at the Renario. They let you come back and walk through on your own after the tour. I found that a great way to get amazing butterfly pics as I took my own sweet time.

Binoculars if you have them will come in handy.

Modest shorts are very acceptable. Costa Ricans rarely wear shorts, especially women. They wear pants, but tourists are exempted from the rule.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: up date requested for "Itinerary for Seniors"

Ummm, well, psudadd - I see Costa Ricans in shorts all the time. They are more rare in the cooler elevations and in San Jose, but otherwise, they are pretty much everywhere.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: up date requested for "Itinerary for Seniors"

Agree with Hattie Costa Ricans in hot locations wear shorts expecialy women.

5. Re: up date requested for "Itinerary for Seniors"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2013, 10:22