We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling the states

Arkansas
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Topic
Calling the states

We are visiting CR in a few weeks and will not be using out phones due to roaming but we will have our iPad and access to wifi. What is the best way to be able to call back to the states? Is it skype or is there something better? I can use FaceTime and a texting ap for most people but I'd like to be able to call my parents who do not have a smartphone. What is the best option for landline or calls to us cell phones?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling the states

Use Skype - works without a problem.

If you want to use public phones, simply purchase a calling card and you are all set. Prices are very reasonable and instructions are optionally in English, too. You can purchase these calling cards everywhere!

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling the states

Agree, get some credit on your Skype this will enable you to call phones. You can also get a skype local phone number and people can reach you as long as you are on wifi.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling the states

Do you hce to use the paid version of skype or will the free work? Do you have to purchase a skype phone number? Do you have any idea what the rates are from CR on skype? I've looked on their site but they seem to have so many options that it's confusing.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling the states

So without the local number, I can call anyone (with the minutes that I buy) but they can't call me from a landline right?

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling the states

You will need to buy credit if you want to call phones, it is free Skype to Skype. You can pay as you go 2.3 USC per minute or $6.99 for unlimited calls to US numbers.

Monthly; skype.com/intl/en-us/prices/pay-monthly/#US

Pay per minute: www.skype.com/intl/en-us/prices/payg-rates/

You do not need to purchase a number, this is just if you want people to be able to call you from landlines. If someone has Skype they can call you or chat you free.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 22:21
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling the states

I know this post is a couple of months old, but I have a question. Can I download Skype on my iphone and make Skype to Skype phone calls for free as long as I keep my phone on airplane mode (assuming there is a WiFi connection)?

Thanks,

Cari

Arkansas
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling the states

I believe so, I'd test it out and play with it at home before your trip. We received conflicting information about using airline mode so we opted to remove out sim cards while in an international area to be sure that we would not be charges.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling the states

Indeed, you can.

skype.com/intl/…

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling the states

If you use a computer, Google offers Google Talk from CR to the US and Canada for .01cents per minute. The downside is that you can only call out, but email or instant message/chat with Google is free. I use it all the time to call Canada, and if you have access to wifi or cable internet it works really well. Sign up for a gmail account before you leave the US or Canada, prepay a min of $10US, then it's with you whenever you have computer access. Just another option to consider.

10. Re: Calling the states

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2013, 10:17