We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

Hello again everyone -

I am very close to booking my first ever trip to Costa Rica. As you can see from my history - we really tend to enjoy 'higher end' hotels with good service and ammenities.

We have already decided that we are going to stay at the Four Seasons for 5 nights. My question is - we really want to see some nature and eco-resorts - but want to find the most luxurious option. Is Lapa Rios the best for this? We understand none of them will be 'Four Seasons' luxury - but what is the very best of the eco-resorts.

Again - thank you very much.

Drew

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

Lapa Rios is the top end in wilderness eco lodges in the Osa Peninsula. And for were it is, its is luxury but not comparable to Four seasons as you say. It is sustainable, in the remote rainforest, off the grid, no TV, No AC, small with bungalows scattered through the rainforest gardens. I stayed there 5 years ago and was very impressed and definitively an experience. But read the reviews to see if it’s the sort of thing you are looking for.

Bosque del Cabo also gets great feedback but I have only stayed in Lapa Rios and think that based on "luxury" factor Lapa Rios would be your choice.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

I've been to Lapa Rios for sunset drinks but did not stay there. Yes, it's very nice. But IMO, I think La Paloma in Drake Bay is nicer! Stayed there for 3 nights and it was amazing. As luxury as you can get in a eco rainforest setting. And, it's a much easier walk down to the beach, if that's important.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

People rave about Lapa. The premium in pricing (it is nearly 100% more than neighboring Bosque Del Cabe which is pretty spectacular in its own right) is largely because of the added comforts and pampering that Lapa offers. Remember though, you are in a completely remote area and luxury means something other than the Ritz Carlton at Vail or the George V in Paris.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

Yes , it is best luxury Ecoresort. It also reflects on price and service. They do a great job and it is a great eco-experience

J H
London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

What exactly is an eco-experience?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

It always gets rave reviews but we haven't stayed there; we did love Bosque del Cabo though.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

Again - thank you all for your input.

Drew

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

I've been to Lapa Rios twice in the last few years and wouldn't go anywhere else on the Osa. It has everything you need right there at the property. The staff are incredible, the food is amazing and the experience is one you will never forget. There is so much natural wildlife everywhere. I've seen more wildlife there than anywhere else in Costa Rica (and I've made ten trips in the last six years).

You will not be disappointed by the amenities at Lapa Rios. The bungalows are in the middle of the jungle but still 5 star all the way. And the views are spectacular. If you drink coffee, be sure to order the morning coffee delivery service the night before so you can sit out on your private patio and watch the sunrise. Thinking about it makes me miss it so much...I want to return!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

I have had the chance to stay in Alpa Rios sometime ago...and just love the place...the people that runs the palce are very special...not a dropp of arrogancy around there///humble people ...running a first class operation..

roadadvsor

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Lapa Rios the best luxury eco-resort

I'm not sure if it's out of your way, but we will be going to the Pacuare Lodge. The pictures and reviews look amazing ... private plunge pools, 5 star dining, luxurious cabin-style suites... I wish we could afford to stay for more than just 3 nights!