We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advice - first timers

Calgary, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Trip advice - first timers

Hi,

We are visiting Costa Rica in Feb/Mar for 9 nights/8 days (late arrive/early depart). We are somewhat adventurous and have traveled with minimal plans in the past. We are in our 40's now and look to self travel with some comfort and are looking at some advice.

We fly into Liberia late and plan one night there. I'm thinking to rent a car and spend 3 nights in La Fortuna/Arenal, 3 somewhere further south than Tamarindo on Nicoya Pen. The then last 2 nights closer to Liberia like Conchal.

Would it make sense (Not involving excessive travel) to do a loop from Arenal to the Puntarenas Ferry then to Santa Theresa for the 3 days before heading north to Conchal? Or do we need to double back via Tileran/Limonal then head across to somewhere like Samara four our 3 'south' days? We like to find unique places but not be so remote that there is nothing around. We usually avoid the big resorts....

I don't mind a 4 hr travel day because we would probably spend all day and see stuff on the way. I really like the look of the Santa Theresa area but I am worried that may just make it too much driving for the travel days to be fun.

Cheers,

Dan

Calgary, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip advice - first timers

Forgot to add. Can we make a 8AM flight if we self drive from Conchal? Leave @ 5AM drive, drop off car and have 2 hrs to flight? Or do we have to leave earlier to be safe? Should we spend that last 2 days closer? maybe Ocotal?

Thanks,

Dan

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip advice - first timers

Dear Dan...

If your flights leaves LIR by 8am..and leaveing around 5am...you will be by LIR at 6 somenthing...be sure to ask the rent a car to be around there that early...otherwise is 100% doable,

Yes you can do that loop...nice ride,...

roadadvisor

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip advice - first timers

Hi Dan, it looks like you're gonna be in CR around the same time we're there (we're leaving near the end of Feb, coming back in March) Are you also flying with Continental, arriving at 8:45 pm?

We've booked our first night at the Santa Ana hotel near the Liberia airport

http://www.hotelsantaanacr.com/

and the next day we're renting a car and drive to Arenal.

Our flight back is later than yours, but we're also staying our last few nights in the Conchal area!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip advice - first timers

Sounds like a great trip.

No problem with leaving early from Conchal area for your return flight-beautiful sunrise over Rincon de la Vieja as you approach the airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip advice - first timers

I would leave a little earlier from Conchal maybe 4:45am just to be safe.

Calgary, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip advice - first timers

Scorpiogirl,

Nope we got a great deal from Delta. Try

So far looks like this....

Liberia Airport 1 Night

Arenal 3 Nights

Santa Theresa 3 nights

Conchal 2 nights

7. Re: Trip advice - first timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:20