We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

Saskatoon, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

I just spoke with a representative from the Costa Rica Embassy in Canada and she said that you CANNOT travel to CR if you have a DUI charge if it has been put on the inter pol website (and they are all put on that website, I asked the RCMP), but everyone else I talk, including people from Costa Rica, say that there will be no problem. Has anyone been there really recent (within a few months), with a DUI, and not had a problem at the border???

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

Well, if you have asked at the Costa Rica Embassy and gotten your answer, do you expect people here to know more than that?

Someone from Canada with a DUI that has been reported to Interpol MIGHT have gotten through passport control in Costa Rica. Does that mean that you will? Are you willing to take the chance on an expensive airline ticket to find out?

Saskatoon, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

Well, in the same sentence, she says I can "try...They may or may not decide to let me in". I spoke with embassy and the RCMP and they said that neither can give me a yes or no answer. I just have to try...seems odd coming from an embassy. You'd think... they are the ones that make the rules, but yet she says they might look at the offense when I get there and decide it's okay, but if it's on Interpol then I have a high chance of being rejected. I'm more confused than when I started out. She says to "try"...as if it's as easy as going to the corner store to try to buy smokes underage. haha It's not that easy, or that cheap. I wish the rules were more black and white, yes or no. Oh well I guess...and what sucks more is that it was a .091 (like three drinks, tops) not even worth all of this trouble.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

My question would be why a DUI offense would be entered into the interpol database to begin with. That seems a bit over the top to me.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

Nic - I feel your pain! "You can try...." doesn't seem to be a very good answer.

I guess to be sure, you would need to talk to someone "in authority" at the Costa Rican Embassy. Were you just talking to a receptionist or someone else?

Maybe send them an email to see if you can get something in writing.

I have no real knowledge, but just from what I do know, it seems that you have to commit some kind of serious felony and be on the Interpol "bad list" in order to be refused entry -- but I am just guessing.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

This all sounds a little weird. A DUI on INTERPOL??? I know that you can be turned away from the US boarder but I doubt they would do that in Costa Rica. Even if someone from the CR embassy says you can't go, they also say that you need a return flight which I have never, ever been asked for. They also say that you have to be out of the country for 72 hours to return, but I know lots of people who cross to Nicaragua and then turn around and come right back into CR without any problems. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't get a DUI here in Costa Rica, haha.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

"She said that you CANNOT travel to CR if you have a DUI charge if it has been put on the interpol website." I'd suggest instead of relying on a general statement from the RCMP you find a way to check the interpol database. Maybe the cops will run an actual search for your name or maybe a 3rd party could provide a documented search to see if your name pops up. Along with others above I can't figure out why on earth this info would get reported to interpol.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

A DUI in Canada is a much more serious conviction than it is in the U.S. In the U.S. it's considered a misdemeanor, not a felony. In Canada, we don't differentiate between the two. It's simply a criminal conviction and you have a criminal record. So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it finds its way onto an Interpol database.

Plus, there is no such charge as DUI in Canada. It can be either impaired driving or refusal to submit to a breathalyzer, or something even more serious.

And, .091 is not "three drinks, tops". Just two weeks ago I was stopped at a spot check after having 3 cocktails and a glass of wine with dinner. I blew .016.

And to say "it's not even worth all of this trouble" is just plain irresponsible. How much trouble should we go to to ensure that drunk drivers don't keep on killing innocent people?

Do us all a favour by not drinking and driving anymore. And stay in Saskatchewan until you can get your head around that. Costa Rica already has all the crazy drivers it needs.

Saskatoon, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

Because a DUI is a felony is Canada, the RCMP said that I will be on the Interpol for one year, as long as my driver's license is still on probation. After this one year, I come off the Interpol but will still have a criminal record. After three years I can get a pardon, but this will never really go away.

And don't get me started on the US. They do not recognize Canadian pardons. So if US is where I want to go, then I have to apply for a waiver, which is $500, then wait like 6 months until the US decides if they want to give me a waiver. This travel waiver will have an expiration date of 1, 3 or 5 years and then i will have to re-apply again. I cannot believe how strict everyone is for this DUI. I understand if i was crashing into poles or putting people in harm, but I had left a fundraiser after three drinks and it just so happened that it was just barely over a .08. And, for a girl that is three drinks over two hours. Ridiculous! So basically, I am a felony criminal because I had three drinks over two hours at a fundraiser and drove home. Seems fairly extreme. I think there should be different degrees of DUI's if you ask me. That was quite the vent...sorry.

Saskatoon, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

Oh...I have no worries in that department. I would never even attempt to drive there. I'd be stuck in CR prison for a year awaiting trial and probably have to literally give and arm and a leg to get out. I just want a one-week vacay! Is that so much to ask :(

My friend's brother just went to Mexico two weeks ago and he had a DUI early last year, and he had no problems at all, but he passed his one year driver's probation. I wonder if that's why...

Saskatoon, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Entrance into Costa Rica with DUI?

How could you have possibly blew only a 0.016 with that many drinks? Do you mean a 0.16?

They say for a female, one drink puts you at a .04, two drinks a .08. Its women's muscle mass versus men. The police even took a guess at how much I drank after I blew and they got it spot on.

I respect your opinion about drinking and driving and i agree...but I think three drinks is a little extreme. That's all that I'm saying. I meant...that one dinner night out was not worth the DUI charge and all that goes along with it....that I shouldn't have even gone out. I didn't mean that drinking wasted and irresponsibly is okay.