We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica is a wonderful country!

western springs, il
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica is a wonderful country!

We (parents & 3 college age kids) just returned from a wonderful vacation in Costa Rica - what an amazing country! The people were friendly and the varied parts of the country were so different.

I appreciated all of the opinions that I read on Trip Advisor.

My recommendations:

Vista Valverde B&B, San Ramon-amazing views

Waterfall Rappelling with Puretrek (LaFortuna)

Arenal Observatory Lodge - never saw the volcano due to cloudy conditions, great trails on property to hike especially Waterfall Trail, we thought that the dinner & breakfast were good

Playa Carrillo - the most beautiful beach: white sand, flat (not slanted) so great for walking/running, ocean not cold, good waves. Playa Carrillo is NOT touristy (and hopefully will stay that way), stayed 4 nights at VRBO 162116/HomeAway 268455 Casa Sevana & would highly recommend

Rios Tropicales: overnight trip, rafting (experience depends on water level - it was medium level for us), guides are safety conscious/professional/fun, hiked to several waterfalls with option to climb and jump off, trails, short zipline, good food, lodge with decks/open air kitchen and simple rooms.

**overnight trips allow only small backpack per person & leave your luggage/valuables in locked storage area.

San Jose: Casa 69 B&B - gem in the city

Vamos Rental Car: GOOD experience, paid for full coverage, cell phone, GPS (definitely need but not always correct). Rep picked up our car at our hotel in San Jose (for $7) and very professional - checking the car, finalizing the bill.

DRIVING: overall challenging, do not recommend driving at night, need GPS as there are no or limited road signs, we came upon a "random checkpoint" and required to produce the passport of the driver,

SHOES: we preferred running shoes (not water shoes) for activities, need good soles due to hiking on rocks, slippery and uneven paths during activities

MONEY: I brought small bills (American $) and most everyone took it or credit; I did get CR $ at the ATM but not until 1/2 way through trip

AIRLINES: Coming home, Spirit airlines decided not to have a plane in Ft Lauderdale for our connection, total chaos, arrived home 24 hours late...oh well, we all LOVED Costa Rica!!!.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica is a wonderful country!

I agree! Glad you enjoyed and great report, thank you!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica is a wonderful country!

Glad that this time was SPIRIT Airlines that make some mistakes...since we try very hard to deliver what paople pay for...but sometimes things happens...SORRY..

But nice to know that overall you enjoy our country as much as we do!

roadadvisor

3. Re: Costa Rica is a wonderful country!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2013, 10:25