We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 76 too old to zipline???

ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is 76 too old to zipline???

My 76 year old/young at heart mother and I are on our way to C.R. and I know my Mum would love to zipline but I am nervous as she is only in moderately good shape but with no serious medical conditions.

Any recommendations to a less strenous tour?

Thanks

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 76 too old to zipline???

Well, it does not have to be strenuous. For example, SkyTrek Monteverde provides for a gondola ride all the way to their top platform. From there on, it's all downhill with very little walking in between. You get on a cable, zip downhill, get off the cable, and walk to the next one. There are always guides on either end to strap you in and release you. Breaking is done by moving the roller mechanism from side to side - which does not require a lot of effort.

My father did it at the age of 70 and had absolutely no problems with it despite not being in the best shape.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 76 too old to zipline???

I think she would be fine, if she's up for it, I think she would have a blast. I would though look into different zipline tours. Some, like SkyTrek in Arenal, similar to mentioned above, has very little walking involved. Others, are a little more strenuous and involve climbing up and/or up steps. Where are you traveling to?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
649 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 76 too old to zipline???

We just got back from Costa Rica and ziplined with Skytrek at Arenal. There was a woman in our group that was 69 and she had no problem whatsoever. As Framptonian describes, the guides do much of the work and the braking system is really easy, doesn't require any strength at all, and there was no climbing or anything in between. I am actually recovering from a back injury and didn't have a bit of trouble.

ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 76 too old to zipline???

Thank you!

We are travelling through Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio and up to Samara and Playa Hermosa.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 76 too old to zipline???

As long as she feel she can do it...do it..!!!.if she is nervous DO NOT DO IT!!

Every Zip line offer what they call the School line...after that if she like it...lets go!

roadadvisor

6. Re: Is 76 too old to zipline???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2013, 10:17