We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to CR, itinerary thoughts please

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
1st trip to CR, itinerary thoughts please

Flying into SJO 2nd week in March, renting a car. We were thinking: 3 nights Arenal (Lost Iguana), 3 nights Monteverde (Sunset Hotel), 3 nights Montezuma (Ylang Ylang).

Any thoughts on these accomodations?

Is driving ourselves the best option? Would it be fastest to take the Puntarenas/Paquera ferry for the Monteverde>Montezuma and Montezuma>back to SJO legs of our trip?

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to CR, itinerary thoughts please

You have a nice itinerary! The only hotel I do not know personally is the Sunset in Monteverde, it is a long way from Monteverde to Montezuma and from Montezuma to San Jose but it is fine, the ferry would be the best option to and from Montezuma. You might need to spend your last night in San Jose or Alajuela depending on the time of your departure flight. Having a car is great as you have more freedom to come and go as you please. Another suggestion instead of Montezuma would be the Manuel Antonio Rain Forest and beach area.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 16:15
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to CR, itinerary thoughts please

Thanks. I looked at MA, but it seemed so much more popular. I kind of like the "off the beaten path" aspect of Montezuma and Ylang Ylang looked great. Is there something so special about MA that I really should go there instead of Montezuma? Would the drive from Monteverde to MA be that much quicker than the ferry to Montezuma?

I'm trying to get a mid-afternoon flight out of SJO. Do you think that would give us enough time to get there from Montezuma (I'm trying to avoid spending a night in San Jose or Alajuela).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to CR, itinerary thoughts please

Manuel Antonio might have more people however it a nice rainforest area with some of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica and a lot of nature activities around. It would be less than 4 hours from Montverde and just 3 hours to the airport for your last day. Comming back from Montezuma on your last day might be tricky I would suggest to be on line for the ferry a couple of hours before to ensure you make it to the ferry and on time to the airport, if you go to Montezuma I would suggest you spend your last night in San Jose or Alajuela

waterloo,ON
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to CR, itinerary thoughts please

We have been to Montezuma twice. We get flights that leave after 3 and take the jet boat taxi to Jaco through Zuma tours, it leaves at 8am. Zuma will arrange a shuttle to take you from Jaco to SJO. No need to spend the night near the airport. The taxi boat is fun and way faster than the ferry.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to CR, itinerary thoughts please

Considering the distance between Montezuma and SJO, does anyone have any experience with taking the morning flight from Tambor to San Juan? Instead of spending the night before we leave in San Jose we thought we could get another night in at Ylang Ylang and take the early flight and be in time for our 12:35 departure back to the States. Any advice? Also, we will have a rental car, does anyone know which companies will allow a drop-off at Tambor?

6. Re: 1st trip to CR, itinerary thoughts please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 10:29