We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica Hotels

Carolina Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica Hotels

We are planning a 7 day anniversary trip to CA during the first week of August, and we are totally overwhelmed by the various resorts available, their diverse locations and the variety of amenities they offer. And then there’s the issue of the rainy season. I know the Caribbean side would be drier, but would it be too wet for Manual Antonio?

We do have a few things on our Wish List, and I’m hoping for some guidance from seasoned CR travelers.

Need

Excellent food

Great views

Romantic, tropical and lush

Great service

Affordable (Can’t do the Ritz-type resort)

Would Like

Open air experience in restaurants and room

Deck with hammock

Natural-feeling interior – native woods and the like

Activities within a reasonable distance, so it can’t be too remote

Don’t want

Chain hotel

Ideas, anyone? Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

In the Caribbean check the Azania Bungallows or the Cariblue. They are a good valeu for their price

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

Yes sounds like Manuel Antonio is the place for you. I wouldn't worry about a little rain in MA as it tends to make everything greener and more lush. you can see typical rainfall totals by area at costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html. This area has lots of great restaurants so you don't need to pick lodgings based on the quality of their onsite restaurant. My question is what do you consider affordable? At 2 different ends of the spectrum there's the Arenas del Mar with beachfront rooms from $270/nite http://www.arenasdelmar.com/ and then there's the studio plus units at Costa Verde II from $138/nite with spectacular views. There are many many other great choices in the area and all the hotels along the ridge road from Quepos to Manuel Antonio provide easy access to activities and restaurants. Just remember 2 things - the area is so gorgeous and there are so many fun things to do you are unlikely to spend much time in your room and be forewarned that the cost of excursions sometimes exceeds the cost I typically spend for lodging.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 23:30
Carolina Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

Thanks so much for speedy responses! We could spring for Arenas del Mar if it's really that special. It must be since it's 5 star. What about Buena Vista Villas? It sounds pretty nice, too. Is walking to town really "do-able" from there? Although not in MA, I've also been attracted to Rio Magnolia, LaPaloma and Nayara. Yep, too many choices. I appreciate your helping narrow them down.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

Arenas del Mar is a great choice. You can do 3 nights at Arenal Nayara and the rest at Arenas del Mar. It would be a nice romanctic combination.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

Manuel Antonio is waiting for you...check..Tulemar bungalows...and Buena Vista Villas and Casas great places.....exactly what you are looking for...

The good thing is that you can dealt direct with hotels in the area...you do not need a middle person...many jokers in our country playing Travel Agent and Tour Operators...they are just looking for your money...try to dealt with reputable companies and hopefully certified...less chances to have a big headache...

From Buena Vista the offer a shuttle ...depends on your villa or bungalow location it is ok to wlak...but the best just call the shuttle and 4 minutes later you will be at main street where most restaurants are located...

Please report soliciting by PM...

roadadvisor

Carolina Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

Thank you one and all.

Sandy

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
498 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

I don't think Arenas del Mar is what you are looking for. The rooms are luxurious, but they don't have a Costa Rican feel. And you can't walk from there to restaurants in the area. Have you looked at Makanda by the Sea? The room we stayed in had a beautiful balcony that looked out over nothing but jungle and ocean.

Carolina Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

I will check that out, too. Anyone have any experience with Rio Magnolia? It looks great, but It's so hard to really get a feel for a place from Internet pictures. That's why I'm thrilled to have so many people willing to share their time and experience with me.

Sandy

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

I definitely think you'd enjoy Nayara in the Arenal area; it has a romantic vibe as well as great views, service, excellent food, deck with hammock, and all that good stuff.

Carolina Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Rica Hotels

I didn't realize how important atmosphere is to me until I began this search. Shooie was exactly right. Arenas del Mar looks nice, but the rooms just don't have a native feel. On the other hand, Nayara looks exactly perfect! Thanks, Volcano girl. Now, do we want to spend a week there, or is there someplace else we owe it to ourselves to see?