We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Expires in less than 90 days

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Passport Expires in less than 90 days

I just realizedm my passport expires one week before the 90-day period it is supposed to be good for entry to Costa Rica. I plan to enter March 17 and it expires June 10. I don't know if there is time to get an expedited renewal. Will the airlines let me travel? Will Costa Rica let me in? We are only staying a week.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

Chances are, even if the airlines let you board, you will not be able to enter Costa Rica. People have been turned away for the same thing and had to return to the US and reschedule their vacation or just get their passport and finish their vacation. Not worth taking a chance.

There is time to get an expedited passport renewal. You can go to a passport office and have it in one day - two at the most. You can also do it by mail which takes a little longer. Look at the website for the State Department and you will see the possibilities for passport renewal.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

I think you have a problem. Check out this recent forum post and the 4th paragraph: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309271-i1739-k510…

Also check the Costa Rica government's official website at http://www.migracion.go.cr/ Google translator may help if you don't read Spanish.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

Better get a new passport chances are you will not be allowed into Costa Rica

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

You do have a problem. Since they changed the rule from 30 to 90 days the Migracion in Costa Rica seems to have been strictly enforcing the rule. There have been several posts on this and other boards of people arriving in CR with even a few days less than 90 only to be turned back.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k49543…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k50189…

If you are leaving on about March 17th you have several weeks to get a new one. From what I hear it doesn't take that long to get an expedited one in the US if they say they can't guarantee it will be ready by then with normal processing. It costs more, but it is worth not ruining your vacation.

raquel

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

Agree with the above, CR immigration passes your passport through scanner and will imediately flash up on their screen that your passport is not valid for 90 days. Best go to the passport office and get a new one ASAP.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

It must be good for 90 days no exceptions! They are getting renewed in about 3 weeks, of course you can do a rush job for more $.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

I just did an expedited passport and got it back in about two weeks. I'd renew it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

Thanks to all who responded with the sound advice to get my passport renewed before travel!

9. Re: Passport Expires in less than 90 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 10:25