We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cano Negro & Tortuguero

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Cano Negro & Tortuguero

Is Cano Negro similar to Tortuguero and should we not do Cano Negro if e are spending time in Tortuguero?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cano Negro & Tortuguero

They are similar only in the fact that a lot of water is involved. You will probably see different birds and wildlife in Cano Negro. Whether you should go or not really depends, I guess, on how much time you have and what else you are doing.

Cano Negro is a wildlife preserve through which the Rio Frio runs. In many places, there are wetlands.

Tortuguero Village is a tiny town located on a spit of land with the ocean on one side and the lagoon/river on the other. Part of the National Park is terrestrial and part is a series of canals and rivers.

One of the biggest differences is that sea turtles nest in Tortuguero which, of course, you wouldn't see in Cano Negro.

It also depends on what time of year you are going.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cano Negro & Tortuguero

Thanks, we are going in July for two weeks and we have been dealing with Anywhere Costa Rica and I'm having a hard time working Tortuguero in as they said that there is no parking for a rental car to take the ferry and they want to add transfers from SJO and the pick up the car at Arenal, but for those two days in Tortuguero at a lodge for 4 people w/transfers they want $1400. They told me the parking is not secure and nobody watches your car there--so not sure what to do now.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cano Negro & Tortuguero

Maybe is time to find somebody to really help you with your reservations and to answer your nice questions...looks to me that you are running some stress and they are making good money out of you!! Find somebody else to make your travel arregements!

Dependin on you if you like to try the two palces...in my case and my humble opinion...I will do in your case just Tortuguero!

roadadvisor

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cano Negro & Tortuguero

Thank you for your help

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cano Negro & Tortuguero

No need to go to Cano Negro if you are going to Tortuguero. About parking that is not true for example if you to Mawamba Lodge you can leave your car at the Rio Danta Restaurant.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cano Negro & Tortuguero

We love both, but if you want to sacrifice one, Tortuguero has the turtles, and you'd be there during nesting season, so I'd pass on Cano Negro. Seeing the turtles is really amazing. Tortuguero can be very rainy in July. We had a lot of pouring rain when we were there but still loved it. We brought books to pass the time when it was raining.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cano Negro & Tortuguero

If you're going to Arenal you can easily get a tour for the day from there, so no need for only one. While I really enjoyed Cano Negro, the guide was excellent and we saw numerous birds and animals, Tortuguero was an entirely different experience with much more of a deep jungle feel (and of course the sea turtles). One thing seems clear-you're paying way to much money. Search thru this forum and you'll learn how to organize your trip for much less money.

8. Re: Cano Negro & Tortuguero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:17