We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st & last night near airport

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
564 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
1st & last night near airport

Do you normally book it just before you leave your country or do you book it way in advance? B&B's near airport seem to be frequently full due to the small number of rooms they have.

I have in mind Hotel Casa Tago, Los Vocalnes, and Margarita's Airport B&B but haven't really made a decision on which one yet. I still have 7 months before the trip so if I book it too early I'm afraid they might lose my reservation...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st & last night near airport

You can book it now and just reconfirm wioth your hotel one month prior arrival. Or you can wait and book it a few weeks before you arrive. If you are comming in October I do not think those places would be full.

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
202 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st & last night near airport

If none of those work try Adventure Inn, we have stayed there a couple times and always a pleasant experience. Breakfast is included and they will give you a sack lunch if you have to leave really early in the morning. They also pay for your taxi to the airport.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st & last night near airport

Margarita la garita airport b&b great choice , we did it the same way for first and last night, and the people who run the place are amazing , always willing to help.. I'm going to do the same thing next month in my 2nd visit to costa rica

Enjoy it

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st & last night near airport

Margarita's is great if you would like to be a bit out from town. Los Volcanes is great if you want to be near the center of town. The advantage of this is being able to walk around, have a choice of restaurants, do some shopping or banking. Either of these would be good choices - it really depends on the location you prefer.

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st & last night near airport

I definitely want to be near centre of town, preferrably with restaurants and shops in walking distance. I'm surprised no one on this forum suggesting Casa Tago but I see a lot of good reviews on TA here...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st & last night near airport

Because I live 4 hours away from SJO, I usually spend the night before a flight (or the night I arrive back in the country) in the Alajuela area. I have stayed at Los Volcanes but not Casa Tago.

From the Casa Tago website, I see by the map that they are in a central location. (Most of the shopping, etc, is around the Central Park or within a couple of blocks of there.) The price seems reasonable for what they offer. I read the reviews and while they are good, there are several hotels about which you could say the same things.

My favorite place in Alajuela is Alegria B&B but this is not in a central area but in a suburb of Alajuela. If you want to walk around town, this is probably not the right place unless you are willing to take a taxi (or the bus which stops very near the B&B). My second favorite place is Hotel Los Volcanes. Comfortable, rooms with a range of prices, excellent breakfast, great staff and nice sitting area. It is in an old historic house. In the central area, I have also stayed at Hotel Santamaria, Islands B&B, La Guaria Inn and Hotel Mi Tierra but two of them are not as nice as Hotel Los Volcanes (Santamaria and Mi Tierra) and Islands and La Guaria priced themselves out of my range. (I was a "regular" customer at La Guaria, stopping there a couple of times a year until one night when I arrived really late without a reservation. My passport had been stolen in the Miami airport and I spent all day getting a new one and arrive SJO around 11 pm. I went there and the same room I had paid around $45 for previously was now $75, the bathroom was dirty and hadn't been cleaned properly and there was no remote for the tv and the guy at the desk couldn't find one and wouldn't move me to another room. The bedside lamp was so dim, I couldn't even read. My last time there.)

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st & last night near airport

tripadvisor.com/…38789586

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st & last night near airport

LOL Kirsten. Thanks for the reminder! I must've been reading way too many reviews and hotel websites and have totally forgotten what I have read!

:)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st & last night near airport

Hotel Aeropuertto and they will even pay your taxi back to SJO!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st & last night near airport

Karin L - I know what you mean! I am a definite planner when it comes to travel and I usually end up making a little "matrix" of likely hotels. Name, location, price, services, "other" and then you can do a comparison and it helps make things more obvious.