We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal and Monteverde

NY
Level Contributor
781 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal and Monteverde

I am about set with a trip to Arenal and Monteverde. The Arenal activities of most interest are sky tram, volcano hike, and dinner and hot springs. The Monteverde activities of most interest are Hidden Valley Night tour, Walkways tour, and a coffee tour or El Trapiche.

It looks like I will need 2 nights in both locations but we may have an extra night available. I think Arenal may have more added options but I'm also concerned about the very hot weather in April that may hamper outdoor activities. I have a few questions and options.

1 - How hot will it be and feel in late April in Arena.?

2 - Is it better to do 3 nights in Arenal or 3 nights in Monteverde?

3 - How different is Santa Elena hiking vs. El Salvatura?

4 - Is it usually easy to book days a day in advance or is is best to book them a few weeks in advance?

Tnanks in advance

travelus73

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

I would add the extra night in Arenal. There is more to do there. Late April should be fine. Santa Elena is more into real forest and more chances to see more things.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

I'd pick Arenal over Monteverde every time. Lots more to do in the Arenal area. Also prefer the warm weather in Arenal to Monteverde. While you're there, I'd recommend visiting the waterfall and Hanging Bridges if you have time. If you're going to be there around Easter, I'd book things ahead since it's a very busy time.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

Really depends what you guys enjoy the most...in my case I love Arenal...

roadadvisor

4. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:18